r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    Thats the advantage of having git; the data isn't lost. As long as someone has a single clone of the repo it's all good. I'm sure agd5f has it stored on his computer and can easily just push it back up to fd.o if he needs to.

Git is not like CVS/SVN where everything is stored on the server.
    Thanks for the clarification. I somewhat thought I remembered git working like that, but I've only used git to fetch source so far. Most of my day to day stuff is in SVN.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Thanks for the clarification. I somewhat thought I remembered git working like that, but I've only used git to fetch source so far. Most of my day to day stuff is in SVN.
      Actually if you fetched sources recently enough, you also have a recent git repo that people can pull from.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Actually if you fetched sources recently enough, you also have a recent git repo that people can pull from.
        How would one share this? Just clean/distclean, tar it up, and upload it somewhere? (EDIT: I guess git clean would work better)

I pulled agd5f's drm a few days ago (9/28). I can't remember if that is the latest update or not (drm-2.3.0-2634-gb323796). The last commit:
        commit b3237965c75d3f045547e409e71f8aebcaa95557
        Author: Alex Deucher <[email protected]>
        Date: Fri Sep 25 18:30:41 2009 -0400

r600: fix offset handling

Specifically for DRAW_INDEX. Fixes draw_prims in mesa.

Signed-off-by: Alex Deucher <[email protected]>
        Last edited by DanL; 01 October 2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post
          How would one share this? Just clean/distclean, tar it up, and upload it somewhere? (EDIT: I guess git clean would work better)
          Your local cloned git tree can be cloned again to another location and then pulled from.

Comment

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            Your local cloned git tree can be cloned again to another location and then pulled from.
            Yeah, I understand that, but where would clone to share?

Err, nvm. I just git clean'd and git archive'd. I now have a tar.gz that's under 1 MB. If you need agd5f's drm, PM me your e-mail and I'll send it.

Comment

• after i rebuilt drm and mesa again, it finaly works fine again, openarena has no glitches, indirect rendering only for quake3 still, but it has no glitches too, i have drawprim disabled with patch posted here earlier.

Comment

• Is anyone playing things using the free drivers on r6xx+ ?

What i'm observing on my HD4550 is frame rates between 40 and 80 in OpenArena, with very little relation to detail/complexity level and resolution.

I've tried many different combinations, and basically I get similar frame rates using vertex lighting and minimum detail at 800x600 and full-blown everything on at 1920x1080. There is some difference, but I can't hit 125fps, whatever I do.

What does this mean? It's hard to imagine that the card is not powerful enough (at low res), the engine is 10 years old. I guess that the fill rate is not the issue, as the resolution doesn't matter much. Where is the bottleneck? Is there hope for improvement?

Another thing I've noticed is that the frame rate is very unstable and fluctuates wildly, even when you're staring at a wall. On top of this, there are sticky points every 2 seconds or so (screen freezes for a split second), which gets worse the longer X has been running. Upgrading to the latest drm-next kernel has improved this significantly, but it's still there.

This is not moaning, just a discussion, and I do appreciate the efforts that have gone into the drivers. We've had a few trolls here recently, so I wanted to make that clear.

Comment

• If the frame rate doesn't change much with resolution that means you're either CPU bound or limited by the driver's ability to overlap GPU and CPU processing.

Are you running with KMS ? If so the new memory manager code is probably introducing some frame rate variations, but that will improve over time.
                  Test signature

Comment

• I wonder about:
                    Code:
                    *** NOTE: Don't use glxgears as a benchmark.
                        OpenGL implementations are not optimized for frame rates >> 60fps,
                        thus these numbers are meaningless when compared between vendors.
                    I get this with glxgears. But maybe 60fps is for all OpenGL apps?

Comment

• Yeah, the drivers are written for real world apps that do a lot of drawing in each frame, ie the drawing code gets more attention than the "once per frame" code.

The glxgears program draws so little each frame that you end up measuring the performance of the "once per frame" code rather than the drawing code -- so the correlation between glxgears performance and real world application performance is weak at best.

That's why the devs make rude comments about glxgears being used as a benchmark for anything other than buffer-flipping. Any frame rate faster than your display refresh rate is largely wasted anyways.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 20 November 2009, 12:28 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X