No announcement yet.

r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For KMS, you probably want to go with git stuff for everything, to get all the recent bugfixes.

I think that anything other than that will be too old/unstable.

I'd be interested if anyone got it running using only official releases, though. For me, non-KMS was working just fine for almost a month. Then I got bored of stability and decided to get some action again

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      For KMS, you probably want to go with git stuff for everything, to get all the recent bugfixes.

I think that anything other than that will be too old/unstable.

I'd be interested if anyone got it running using only official releases, though. For me, non-KMS was working just fine for almost a month. Then I got bored of stability and decided to get some action again
      Hehe fair enough. But don't I need any secret/special branches?

Comment

• The only "special branch" left is the drm-next branch of the linux kernel. But this branch gets pulled into the mainstream kernel regularly, so vanilla 2.6.32-rc1 already has all you need for KMS, for example.

So you'll get faster updates if you pull the drm-next branch regularly on your own, but the vanilla kernel will work fine (if recent enough, read: 2.6.32 release candidates).

Everything else (librdm, mesa, xf86-video-ati) is built from master now. No branches needed anymore.

Comment

The only "special branch" left is the drm-next branch of the linux kernel. But this branch gets pulled into the mainstream kernel regularly, so vanilla 2.6.32-rc1 already has all you need for KMS, for example.

So you'll get faster updates if you pull the drm-next branch regularly on your own, but the vanilla kernel will work fine (if recent enough, read: 2.6.32 release candidates).

Everything else (librdm, mesa, xf86-video-ati) is built from master now. No branches needed anymore.
          Thx.

Can you shortly tell me what I need from git?

What I had in mind:
          ati-radeon
          mesa
          drm-next

xorg-server?

Comment

• libdrm from git://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm
            mesa from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
            ati-radeon from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

You'll also need a new enough kernel (though a git pull of drm-next is recommended)

A stable X is just fine, I'm running 1.6.3.

I'd recommend getting it running with a vanilla 2.6.32-rc1 first, then try to experiment with the drm-next branch once you get that working.

Comment

libdrm from git://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm
              mesa from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
              ati-radeon from git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

You'll also need a new enough kernel (though a git pull of drm-next is recommended)

A stable X is just fine, I'm running 1.6.3.

I'd recommend getting it running with a vanilla 2.6.32-rc1 first, then try to experiment with the drm-next branch once you get that working.
              Thx. Do I need a newer kernel, if I just pull drm-next?
              I am using Arch, and see there is some kms packages of ati, mesa and libdrm. I'll try them :-)

Comment

• You will need to check out linux sources from git if you want to pull the drm-branch. It's described here. You can't merge it onto an already installed kernel, you need the whole source and then build it with the correct options enabled (they almost certainly aren't enabled in most distros' binary kernels).

If the arch packages are similar to gentoo ebuilds, they will do the git stuff for you. I don't know for sure, though, it's worth a try.

Comment

• Originally posted by octoberblu3 View Post
                  Now that kernel 2.6.32 is in the RC stage and Mesa 7.6 is out, can one get working 3D on r6xx/r7xx from released source instead of git repositories?

For instance, can I get 3D (with or without KMS) from these packages?
                  linux 2.6.32-rc1
                  mesa 7.6
                  xf86-video-ati 6.12.4
                  libdrm 2.4.14
                  Well, I tried it and I do get working 3D (no KMS). The only error I get whenever I run something openGL is

IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0

glxgears went from ~250 FPS on software to 1350 on hardware.

Neverball works, and KDE effects.

Good going guys. I'll keep trying newer releases. I just didn't feel like messing with git branches so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    If you are using kms make sure you grab the latest bits from drm-next.
                    no, not kms

it was ubuntu 9.04 kernel, latest drm from your repo (which is missing now on freedesktop.org), and latest mesa on that date

Comment

• So if I dont want KMS I can use the regular drm branch now for 3d? For both kernelmodule and libdrm?

Comment

Working...
                      X