r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
    Yeah, same here (RV670). Without LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set I see exactly the same corruption as before in quake3.

The leak is fixed

The shadows-visible-through-walls aren't

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Why is fglrx SO huge?

Because it covers all the chipsets? Because it implements its own memory manager and half of X Server? Because it implements all of Mesa basically?

I mean, the new open source 3D drivers are looking mean and lean, other than the spread among Mesa/DDX/KMS/GEM etc, I don't see where the discrepancy comes from.
      I guess the main reasons are :

- includes all of Mesa and a lot more (OpenGL 3.x, GPGPU etc..)
      - includes features the open drivers don't have yet (3D acceleration across multiple GPUs etc..)
      - includes specialized code paths for specific scenarios (eg different kinds of memory and bandwidth constraints, eg high levels of AA)
      - includes code paths for older versions of Xorg (remember our target users tend to run older distro releases)

I don't think anyone does much in the way of app-specific code paths these days -- app optimiziation is more a case of finding out where each application spends time and making those operations go fast without slowing down other apps in the process. In general, though, the focus is making big complex apps go fast at the expense of simple small apps.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        - includes code paths for older versions of Xorg (remember our target users tend to run older distro releases)
        That's actually probably the only thing in the list that open drivers won't be getting.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Cooper has pushed a patch which should help with the corruption which previously forced you to run "indirect" (eg openarena). Haven't tried it myself yet though.
          Openarena is still messed up in direct mode.

Comment

doom3

Has anyone tried doom3 with r6xx/r7xx? I tried today with hd3200. It locked up on opening flash screen. Locked up X and only the soft (front) power button did anything.

Then tried it with fglrx and it did work but I couldn't figure how to get audio output out of hdmi which is all I currently have hooked up. Regardless, I did try standard alsa and it said sound didn't work from the beginning. Then tried oss and it looked like it wanted to work but then gave me some kind of ioctl...broken pipe messages.

The open source drivers may not be far enough along for doom3 but I thought I'd ask.

Comment

Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
              Has anyone tried doom3 with r6xx/r7xx? I tried today with hd3200. It locked up on opening flash screen. Locked up X and only the soft (front) power button did anything.

Then tried it with fglrx and it did work but I couldn't figure how to get audio output out of hdmi which is all I currently have hooked up. Regardless, I did try standard alsa and it said sound didn't work from the beginning. Then tried oss and it looked like it wanted to work but then gave me some kind of ioctl...broken pipe messages.

The open source drivers may not be far enough along for doom3 but I thought I'd ask.
              I'm pretty sure Doom3 requires OpenGL 2.0, and the open source r600 driver only supports 1.4. The r300 driver only supports 1.5, so neither can play it yet.

Comment

This link shows minimum hardware of:
                3D card:
                NV10 or R200 minimum hardware
                OpenGL hardware acceleration
                64 MB VRAM

So you're saying the open source drivers don't yet support opengl 2.

I wasn't able to verify the opengl 2 requirement but don't doubt you.

It's too bad the game doesn't check for that and exit with a warning message rather than lock up. Or maybe the current state of the open source drivers in conjunction cause the lockup. I'm sure the devs will get it working in time.

Comment

Full OpenGL 2.0 probably only with Gallium3D...

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                    I'm pretty sure Doom3 requires OpenGL 2.0, and the open source r600 driver only supports 1.4. The r300 driver only supports 1.5, so neither can play it yet.
                    DOom3 has been reported to run without majors problems with r200 oss driver. So it is just bug in r300 driver that probably is causing GPU hang.

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
                      DOom3 has been reported to run without majors problems with r200 oss driver. So it is just bug in r300 driver that probably is causing GPU hang.
                      Oh, I wasn't 100% sure that it needed OpenGL 2. I just assumed it was new enough that it used it.

Comment

Working...
                      X