r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    It'll go in in staging just like r1xx-r5xx in the previous kernel.
    Cool. I thought when you said "probably won't work" that it wasn't even good enough to be a staging driver.

Comment

you need this branch of the ddx, however, this isn't really ready for users yet, and will more than likely not work.
      http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied.../log/?h=r6xxcs
      Yeah, I was a bit too optimistic :P. With the kernel patch I posted the console works great (fast and high resolution) but when I start X I get exactly the same results with airlied's branch as with the master branch: a garbled screen. And it does the modesetting again, instead of using the mode set by the kernel. Switching between vt and X is not smooth either.

Well, I had to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
        Yeah, I was a bit too optimistic :P. With the kernel patch I posted the console works great (fast and high resolution) but when I start X I get exactly the same results with airlied's branch as with the master branch: a garbled screen. And it does the modesetting again, instead of using the mode set by the kernel. Switching between vt and X is not smooth either.

Well, I had to try.
        Sounds like perhaps you aren't using a KMS enabled ddx. Also, make sure the radeon drm is loaded with modeset=1 before starting X.

Comment

Sounds like perhaps you aren't using a KMS enabled ddx. Also, make sure the radeon drm is loaded with modeset=1 before starting X.
          I compiled drm into the kernel (2.6.31-rc8 with the patch I posted from fedora devel) and activated radeon modeset by default. I get 1680x1050 at boot without any vga=xxx parameter in grub, so the kernel is detecting my monitor resolution correctly and setting the video mode. Also, my ebuild for xf86-video-ati says that it compiled commit 608872a37345e1997dbef57cbec82101073adfef (latest in r6xxcs) and I made sure it was configured with --enable-kms. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the drm patch in fedora devel cvs for 2.6.31-rcX is outdated (from Aug 20), but it's the only one I found and applies cleanly over rc8.

Comment

Just tried doom3 without the libgl_always_indirect...=1 line

I was impressed it worked and I got past the cd key and selected difficulty level. Immediately thereafter, X locked up. Frontpower button worked to shutdown. Upon reboot, nothing really in logs to indicate problem. One message but I see a lot is: MTRR 4 not used.

So some progress with gits but not there yet.

Comment

Yes!

OpenArena works great now!

I don't know if I'm imagining, but it seems smoother than in indirect mode too.

The spots which used to crash the X server in indirect mode now only crash OpenArena. For example, when the first map finishes, I get this:

Code:
              Invalid source texcoord for TEX instruction
              validated 0x3d67520 [0xE030B000, 0xE030B000]
              above end: 0x3d67520 0x000001B1 0xE030B000
              Same error prevents me from playing supertuxkart.

But in any case, kudo to the devs for getting this working!

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Yes!

The spots which used to crash the X server in indirect mode now only crash OpenArena. For example, when the first map finishes, I get this:

Code:

The shader compiler doesn't yet support tex coords from shader constants, only inputs and temps. It's on the list of things to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Yes!

Code:

It's fixed, wohoo!

Comment

I just tried Google Earth too, was running nice and fast, just some corruption when you zoom in near water. (slight flicker in ocean surface)

Comment

My xserver crashes when i try to start Google Earth. I'm using mesa from xorg-edgers and built the latest drm on Ubuntu Jaunty. (Mobility Radeon HD 2600)

Comment

Working...
                      X