r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
    Oh, I wasn't 100% sure that it needed OpenGL 2. I just assumed it was new enough that it used it.
    It uses opengl 2 if driver has support for it. But doom 3 also has fixed function rendering fall back for older cards. (Like many others games do)

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
      DOom3 has been reported to run without majors problems with r200 oss driver. So it is just bug in r300 driver that probably is causing GPU hang.
      It may also be worth setting the arb renderer in config as suggested in this thread -

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

For openarena I had to use: LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

For doom3: After making the change suggested in the previous post about setting renderer to arb, the game would kick out with error if using the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1.

But after making the arb change, the game sort of worked just typing doom3. The graphics were such that nothing could be recognized but nothing locked up.

What's even better is that audio over hdmi worked for the game with changes. I only changed the pcm line. .doom3/base/DoomConfig.cfg has the following:
        Code:
        seta s_driver "best"
        seta s_alsa_lib "libasound.so.2"
        seta s_alsa_pcm "plughw:1,3"
        I'd swear I tried that with fglrx and it didn't work. I'll have to try again.

So, for doom3 for the r6xx, current best performance with open source drivers comes from having line in DoomConfig.cfg of:
        Code:
        seta r_renderer "arb"
        But the games is not playable.
        Last edited by forum1793; 02 September 2009, 07:59 PM.

Comment

UT2004 works much better than Quake 3 games.

On the default medium settings, I get flickering objects. Like parts of the gun will dissapear and come back, same for walls and other objects on the map.

If I put the settings on low, that seems to go away. It's probably one of the post-processing effects.
          But it's pretty playable at low settings, even if my sound wasn't working.

Comment

Direct rendering issues (only tested openarena so far) have been fixed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
              Direct rendering issues (only tested openarena so far) have been fixed :-)

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...956daa7eb64806
              That's right!

Confirmed in openarena and Iris2's menu! Huge congratulations for taiu and ppl helping him! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Yep, I was coming to report it. Sometimes the left half of the screen flickers, but otherwise it works great. Now I don't need to disable composite in metacity to play quake3. I hope the shadow issue will be resolved soon, because I feel like I'm a cheater when I see other people's shadows through the walls

Seeing as 3D support is becoming too boring and stable , I'd like to check the progress of KMS. Does anyone know which git repositories we need to pull? I applied this patch to the latest 31-rc8 kernel and I get KMS (1680x1050 at boot), but X doesn't work with the master branch of the radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
                  Seeing as 3D support is becoming too boring and stable , I'd like to check the progress of KMS. Does anyone know which git repositories we need to pull? I applied this patch to the latest 31-rc8 kernel and I get KMS (1680x1050 at boot), but X doesn't work with the master branch of the radeon driver.
                  you need this branch of the ddx, however, this isn't really ready for users yet, and will more than likely not work.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    you need this branch of the ddx, however, this isn't really ready for users yet, and will more than likely not work.
                    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied.../log/?h=r6xxcs
                    So is it safe to say that r600 kms won't be ready for 2.6.32 since the merge window is going to be opening in a couple of weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                      So is it safe to say that r600 kms won't be ready for 2.6.32 since the merge window is going to be opening in a couple of weeks?
                      It'll go in in staging just like r1xx-r5xx in the previous kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X