No announcement yet.

r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not just run X normally, bind-mount /tmp to your chroot, set up .Xauthority, and run the 32-bit apps from the chroot connecting to your running X?

Comment

• It can't be that difficult to run 32 bit 3D applications on a 64 bit system. I mean, what century is this?

If "multilib" boils down to having two completely independent operating systems installed at the same time, then it's a bit pointless.

Comment

• Regardless of the operating system, if you want to run a 32-bit x86 application on an 64-bit x86 platform, you need 32-bit versions of the libraries involved, and this includes the 3D drivers :-)

Comment

• I know, but so far, this involved a small number of libs for which I could get binaries. Now I have to recompile all of X :/

Comment

• With the 32-bit chroot I couldn't get any games to even launch in wine.
            In my normal 64-bit environment I could get games to launch...

I only tested wine so far, I haven't done any native games.

Comment

• can anybody give me an update on the latest drivers with heroes of newerth?
              if needed i can provide you with a beta account.

Comment

• Apparently, QuakeLive also exists in 64 bits, and this was not the problem. Yesterday's blit commit fixed it and now it's working perfectly!

Of course, I will have the 32-bit problem when the drivers become capable of running Doom3 and Quake4, but so far, I'm a happy camper, QuakeLive works!

Comment

• Newerth

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                  can anybody give me an update on the latest drivers with heroes of newerth?
                  if needed i can provide you with a beta account.
                  I've been trying on Arch 64 the last few days with all the mesa/libgl/drm/video-ati/etc git trees and stock 2.6.32 Arch kernel without any success. In fact the last few days I have zero 3D, whereas at least when I first tried last week some time, games like alienarena and worldofpadman worked amazingly well.

HoN was giving me ARB_shader_something errors.

I'm currently compiling (via ssh from work) a 2.6.33-rc4 kernel without the power management patches located in this PKGBUILD (which I initially tried):

It was failing at the Depmod stage like someone commented on later in that thread.

I will try to update this thread tonight with my results.

EDIT: This is on an ATI RV730XT [Radeon HD 4670].
                  Last edited by xris; 19 January 2010, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• I don't know what's going on, but I don't have squat working these days...

Had to revert to catalyst.
                    Last edited by xris; 20 January 2010, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Now that xorg-edgers has moved to Mesa 7.8, I now have OpenGL2.0 with radeon. Pretty much all my games are playable in some manner. GLSL in Nexuiz and Alien Arena no longer cause crashes and/or massive slowdows, but it causes the game to render garbage. Blur is usable in Nexuis as well, just as AA is (doesn't do anything, but neither does it slow the game to a crawl anymore). Warsow still crashes at start-up, Tremulous is slow and unplayable, Neverwinter Nights is too slow to play. Wine I haven't tested much, but performance with it didn't seem to change much (games run, but too slow).
                      Too bad enabling KMS causes Firefox scrolling to be choppy. I just can't do without DRI2 anymore, so it's back to fglrx for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X