Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software For Linux 24.10.3 With ROCm 6.1.3

Phoronix: Radeon Software For Linux 24.10.3 With ROCm 6.1.3

As written about this morning, AMD announced ROCm 6.1.3 with multi-GPU support, beta support for Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2), Radeon PRO W7900 Dual Slot compatibility, and TensorFlow framework qualification support. The upstream ROCm code on GitHub as of writing continues pointing only to the prior ROCm 6.1.2 software but there is now a Radeon Software for Linux packaged driver offering up ROCm 6.1.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most disappointing is just the official operating system compatibility of Ubuntu 22.04.3 HWE. Ubuntu 24.04 LTS out since April still isn't formally supported nor the Ubuntu 22.04.4 HWE that has been out since February... Ubuntu 22.04.3 is the lone listed OS target.
    Very disappointing and worse, it gives the local haters an entry poi nt to trash the whole announcement, as usual.

Now I wonder, since they are releasing this as a package if they have plans to bring Adrenaline, together with HYPER-X, Antilag and all the other fancy stuff that is currently present in Windows?

Comment

Catalyst-ng....

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Very disappointing and worse, it gives the local haters an entry poi nt to trash the whole announcement, as usual.

Now I wonder, since they are releasing this as a package if they have plans to bring Adrenaline, together with HYPER-X, Antilag and all the other fancy stuff that is currently present in Windows?
        Eh, I'd have used Numpy

The latest version of Python module numpy v2.0 is incompatible with the torch wheels for this version. Downgrade to an older version is required. Example: pip3 install numpy==1.26.4
        sudo pacman -R python-numpy ─╯
        checking dependencies...
        error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by mangohud
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-contourpy
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-matplotlib
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-networkx
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-numba
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-onnx
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-onnxruntime
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-pandas
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-pytorch
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-scipy
        :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-torchvision

Breaking Mangohud isn't that big of a deal, but it also breaks python-onyx which breaks ChaiNNer which I use to convert Onyx to Bin/Param to use with Upscayl with older photos which is the one use of ROCm that I have. ROCm breaks ROCm for me

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Eh, I'd have used Numpy

sudo pacman -R python-numpy ─╯
          checking dependencies...
          error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by mangohud
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-contourpy
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-matplotlib
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-networkx
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-numba
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-onnx
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-onnxruntime
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-pandas
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-pytorch
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-scipy
          :: removing python-numpy breaks dependency 'python-numpy' required by python-torchvision

Breaking Mangohud isn't that big of a deal, but it also breaks python-onyx which breaks ChaiNNer which I use to convert Onyx to Bin/Param to use with Upscayl with older photos which is the one use of ROCm that I have. ROCm breaks ROCm for me

There is no hope for AMD then.

Comment

Most disappointing is just the official operating system compatibility of Ubuntu 22.04.3 HWE. Ubuntu 24.04 LTS out since April still isn't formally supported nor the Ubuntu 22.04.4 HWE that has been out since February... Ubuntu 22.04.3 is the lone listed OS target.
            And once more, lack of support for all consumer GPUs is another disappointing aspect.

Comment

#polarizing rent warning#

This focus on Ubuntu as the standard "linux" is sad. It was fine when the web was full of tutorials for new users using ubuntu as the graphical and user-friendly version of Debian, while remaining 99.999% compatible with it. But nowadays ubuntu has grown into an apple-ized version of linux with all the pitfalls of being halfway through the genetic mutation, apt doesn't work properly anymore and neither do flatpacks. The same newcomers who "demand" everything to be python-friendly also "demand" that everything has to run on their ubuntu because all they know is their ubuntu which chatgpt has gracefully told how to install. AMD, pytorch and every developer has to backlog all debian, suse, freebsd, redhat distros because if it doesn't run on ubuntu it doesn't exist, nobody will use it. I have many server OSes running and with every cool stuff out.. "ubuntu instructions, ubuntu FAQ, ubuntu fix, ubuntu workaround, ubuntu patch.." and if you scroll down enough..you might be able to install it on an apple M2! Sure, let me buy a 32-core macbook with tons of vram and ram to run that AI workload properly.

I have a customer with a beeeefy epyc server which is used basically as a workstation...because their sysadmin insists on running ubuntu. Did reinstall, bios update, tried many ubuntu versions..nothing that worked properly like with any debian, red hat, clearlinux...long story short the server usage is crap, the customer is unhappy, and their sysadmin is not touching ubuntu because of all the fancy guidelines and FAQs and command lines that are so easy to google and make him look like a real sysadmin.

Michael here probably knows its trade and can make ubuntu run properly, plus everybody wants ubuntu benchmarks, of course. Also, doing this mass of testing in a proper and detailed way is a helluva job and i'm a light year away from complaining, of course, phoronix has been invaluable MANY times.

I guess ubuntu is my systemd or redhat...
              Last edited by aerospace; 20 June 2024, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Aerospace is absolutely right. Linux is not just Ubuntu, Linux is Slackware, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, etc. So, let's say things as they are. Nvidia might be proprietary but they made a universal installer that works everywhere. Simple as that. AMD, are you going to wake up ?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

There is no hope for AMD then.
                  Not while they support USSR distributions with an emphasis on the U. Ubuntu SUSE RHEL.

They even have TWO sets of drivers for each of those distributions. THREE for Ubuntu including the article's driver. They have 23.40.2 called Radeon Software for Linux, 23.40.3 as Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise, and 24.10.3 as Radeon Pro Software for Linux (this driver). What a clusterfuck.

When it comes to Linux, AMD makes it hard to use their software. Three sets of drivers with very specific OS dependencies versus NVIDIA's two drivers with broad OS dependencies. Their two drivers are New and Legacy, not Not Pro, Pro, and Pro for Ubuntu, none of which support Legacy. The fucked up thing that makes ya wonder why we don't have a generic driver is how we can usually just extract the DEBs or RPMs into the right place on something like Arch or Fedora, build the modules manually, and everything works.

To paraphrase Gabe -- NVIDIA's dominance is an AMD software distribution problem.

Comment

Originally posted by djart View Post

And once more, lack of support for all consumer GPUs is another disappointing aspect.
                    You are right, how dare they not supporting my 1990’s ATI All In Wonder?!
                    /S if needed.

Bro, that line is tired, let it go, they have valid reasons as to why they cant covert all previous gpus.

Comment

Working...
                    X