Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated AMD GPU Firmware Makes Valve's Steam Deck More Robust Against Buggy Apps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Updated AMD GPU Firmware Makes Valve's Steam Deck More Robust Against Buggy Apps

    Phoronix: Updated AMD GPU Firmware Makes Valve's Steam Deck More Robust Against Buggy Apps

    AMD has published a new set of AMDGPU firmware binaries for Linux users. In particular, this should benefit AMD APUs the most and these firmware improvements were focused on Valve's Steam Deck to make the device more robust against buggy applications...

    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

  • #2
    They're upstream already

    Comment


    • #3
      ThinkPad X13 Gen3 here (6850U with Zen3+/RDNA2). Good for me
      Sadly AMD still didn't fixed the Panel-Self-Refresh issues, backlight turns randomly off (often related to load changes e.g. startup of Counter-Strike 2).

      Comment


      • #4
        If they're upstream, does that mean i need to do nothing other than keep my system up to date to get these changes? Or do firmware upgrades need to be installed manually?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vancha View Post
          If they're upstream, does that mean i need to do nothing other than keep my system up to date to get these changes? Or do firmware upgrades need to be installed manually?
          Depends on your distro policy if they upgrade linux-firmware. You might need to explicitly file a bug with them to request it.

          Sadly AMD still didn't fixed the Panel-Self-Refresh issues, backlight turns randomly off (often related to load changes e.g. startup of Counter-Strike 2).​
          Do you have a bug number in AMD Gitlab tracking this? I don't recall hearing about it. If it's a microcode bug not a kernel bug, it would be the DMCUB microcode (which is loaded into DCN hardware). It would be good to gather more details on it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vancha View Post
            If they're upstream, does that mean i need to do nothing other than keep my system up to date to get these changes? Or do firmware upgrades need to be installed manually?
            It is Linux. You don't need to do anything.
            Let your distribution handle that, the package-management will ship a new kernel with newer firmware alongside.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by superm1 View Post
              Do you have a bug number in AMD Gitlab tracking this? I don't recall hearing about it. If it's a microcode bug not a kernel bug, it would be the DMCUB microcode (which is loaded into DCN hardware). It would be good to gather more details on it.
              Sure.

              Brief summary of the problem: The backlight sometimes turns off automatically but the LCD remains alive when I am using the...



              ThinkPads of Gen3 and Gen4 are affected. I cannot say whether the display itself also matter.
              Workaround: Suspend/Resume or add amdgpu.dcdebugmask=0x10 to your boot-cmd which turns off PSR.

              It nasty to reproduce, needs approximately 16 hours of usage till it happens.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hsci View Post

                Sure.

                Brief summary of the problem: The backlight sometimes turns off automatically but the LCD remains alive when I am using the...



                ThinkPads of Gen3 and Gen4 are affected. I cannot say whether the display itself also matter.
                Workaround: Suspend/Resume or add amdgpu.dcdebugmask=0x10 to your boot-cmd which turns off PSR.

                It nasty to reproduce, needs approximately 16 hours of usage till it happens.
                Thanks for the links. I've bumped them so we can get some more up to date comments. I personally use both Phoenix based and Rembrandt based laptops on a very regular basis running Fedora and Arch (CachyOS) and I've never observed these issues. So I have a strong suspicion they are panel TCON dependent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hsci View Post
                  It nasty to reproduce, needs approximately 16 hours of usage till it happens.
                  I'm on a 6850U as well (ThinkPad Z13 Gen1) and haven't experienced any such issues (on Fedora/Bazzite), but then again, I've never gamed for 16 hours straight. But those 16 hours you mentioned, is it just running the machine on idle, or you've got a game on all the time or something? I could try run a stress test to try and reproduce the issue, but don't want to run it for 16 hours...

                  Also, what's your DMCUB version? I'm on 0x4000044​

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a Yoga 7735U and sofar not experiencing anything like that. I do game with it like FS19, FS22, WoW, EVEOnline, Civ6, SOTTR, Valheim, various Assasins Creeds besides some others, nothing FPS games as such (I'll loose anyway with FPS games ). Got the Yoga now for a year and still very pleased with it. Wanted something easier to travel with after my Legion y520.
                    Oh and bytheway running Debian testing/trixie, wine-staging, Heroic Launcher (as a replacement for the Epic Launcher) and Steam.
                    Last edited by DRanged; 08 June 2024, 07:13 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X