AMD Aims For AMF Decode In FFmpeg, Questioned Over Vulkan Video Commitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    will vulkan video support exposing arbitrary parameters? I feel like this would be necessary for vulkan video to actually compete with AMF/Nvenc.

sadly thats just not true. if you want high quality gpu acceleration (surveilance systems) AMF is what you go for, a lot of us were really happy when AMD announecd that amdvlk would be supported by amf (and possibly radv) when vulkan video lands.
    Release a KHR/EXT extension for this is unrealistic, KHR directors would argue about it for a century. What is feasible is to add a bunch of undocumented vendor extensions, use it through an abstraction layer, and then you've reinvented AMF or oneVPL.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

It's more like they have no control over when they are released because of legal..... its not like there are two separate driver teams at this point, after Raja left that got mostly quashed.
      I have no insight into AMD, but there are definitely different people working on AMF (see their Github) and VA-API(see MESA).
      They release different VCN firmware fix releases, which break each others encoding solution.
      I do not understand what legal has to do with firmware fix releases.

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post

And for what would an enterprise customer use AMF?
        AMD encoding quality is pretty bad compared to Nvidia or software encoding.

My understanding is that AMF is primarily used by video game streamers. VA-API encoding quality is pretty bad and AMF gives at least OKish quality.
        In fact, AMD's enterprise and datacenter GPUs/FPGAs have a completely different codec IP than consumer GPUs, with quality to match x265.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

In fact, AMD's enterprise and datacenter GPUs/FPGAs have a completely different codec IP than consumer GPUs, with quality to match x265.
          And are we talking in this case about the same AMF solution in combination with FFMPEG, about which this article is about? Or is this something completely different?

Comment

This is the video version of AMDs failed 3DNow! SIMD alternative to Intel’s MMX back in the day. And it will have the same amount of traction. Thanks AMD for the additional fragmentation to the sorrowful debacle of Linux fragmentation. I’ve been with AMD since 1990. No more. They don’t care for the consumer anymore. It’s all about the server, HPC and hyperscaler space. And making custom one off chips for game consoles and kiosks. This is where they can charge the big bucks for vendor support contracts which would include things like AMF installation and support.

Even though I’ll vomit in my mouth just a little when my two AMD boxes die and are replaced by Intel based machines at least I’ll know I’ll get more sane protocols and frameworks like oneAPI with broad multi vendor and multi ISA support as ARM is on the board of a foundation, namely UXL, that is unifying the world of accelerators explicitly around Intel’s oneAPI. UXL even includes along with ARM….Fujitsu, Imagination, Qualcomm, Samsung, VMware and Google Cloud and Intel. Except for Intel and perhaps VMware, all the other names are ARM ISA designers. In fact, UXL is practically the reincarnation of the now dead AMD led HSA Foundation from more than 10 years ago. In fact, 4 of the companies listed above in the UXL Foundation, ARM, Imagination, Qualcomm and Samsung were part of HSA until Lisa Su came in and killed off HSA and the Fusion APU line for ROCm which is a complete failure and is already superseded by Intel’s oneAPI. And the industry has proven that. Between Intel’s oneAPI, Nvidia’s CUDA and open source standards like Vulkan, AMD stands no chance in hell of ever having industry support for ROCm and AMF.

Meet the new 3DNow! Same as the old 3DNow!

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post

Which is still better adopted than AMF. In linux, nobody uses AMF, since it is a part of the proprietary driver. So not available for debian or fedora at all, and how many RHEL or ubuntu users use the proprietary driver? Not many, anyway.
              Last AMF release allow to use it via RADV, so proprietary driver is no longer needed.

Also AMF in encoding (which is already merged in ffmpeg) just kick ass vaapi in case of performance and quality (tested by myself many times).
              ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

Last AMF release allow to use it via RADV, so proprietary driver is no longer needed.

Also AMF in encoding (which is already merged in ffmpeg) just kick ass vaapi in case of performance and quality (tested by myself many times).
                ​​​
                There's experimental support to use it with RADV. But still, it's only supported on Ubuntu 22.04, RHEL 9.3/8.9 and SLED/SLES 15 SP5. And the Ubuntu installer seems to be broken. It claims to need the package "amf-amdgpu-pro", but their repo doesn't list that package. And right now, there isn't any other official way to install it, besides maybe compiling from source.

Comment

This is just what the world needs, yet another hardware codec API. Because VA-API, VDPAU, NVENC/NVDEC, CUVID, QSV, Mediacodec, Videotoolbox, DX, oneVPL, that strange OpenWhatever that AMD first brought hardware support for AV1 and Vulkan Media Extensions aren't enough yet...

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

Individual Linux users are worth nothing. Every enterprise customer is using AMF, that's good enough for AMD.
                    nonsense, even amd product managers will not say that.
                    amd video really broken on linux, my next video card maybe intel or even Chinese one?

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post

And for what would an enterprise customer use AMF?
                      AMD encoding quality is pretty bad compared to Nvidia or software encoding.

My understanding is that AMF is primarily used by video game streamers. VA-API encoding quality is pretty bad and AMF gives at least OKish quality.
                      Anecdotally maybe, yes. But the circumstances anyone can tell any difference - when they aren't explicitly looking for it, not comparing side by side and not setting the zoom to 500x - are rare at best.

Comment

Working...
                      X