Open-Source "Terakan" Vulkan Driver For Radeon HD 6000 Series Shown On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qarium View Post

any card who can not at minimum do DX11 is more or less EOL.. end of life.

as you say DX10 was never a hit and DX9 title are really old ,
    EOL is hyperbole. There's a lot of great games that were released on DX9, including Dark Souls 1 & 2. The originals not the HD versions. Even games like Mass Effect 1,2,3 and Dead Space were recently remade, but the originals still hold up. I don't think people realize how many great games were released on DX9. This is more towards people who have no need to upgrade, or financially can't afford to do so. You're still better off using these GPU's on Windows 10/11 due to the lack of proper DX11 support. Without Vulkan it'll be difficult to give someone a reason to switch over to Linux. GCN and up cards work perfectly fine. Older TeraScale DX10 based GPU's have great OpenGL support and Gallium Nine. It's the DX11 TeraScale GPU's that get screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      EOL is hyperbole. There's a lot of great games that were released on DX9, including Dark Souls 1 & 2. The originals not the HD versions. Even games like Mass Effect 1,2,3 and Dead Space were recently remade, but the originals still hold up. I don't think people realize how many great games were released on DX9. This is more towards people who have no need to upgrade, or financially can't afford to do so. You're still better off using these GPU's on Windows 10/11 due to the lack of proper DX11 support. Without Vulkan it'll be difficult to give someone a reason to switch over to Linux. GCN and up cards work perfectly fine. Older TeraScale DX10 based GPU's have great OpenGL support and Gallium Nine. It's the DX11 TeraScale GPU's that get screwed.
      you are right dx9 games are great. but do you really think one has to run them on dx10 hardware or older ?
      from a technical point of view these 14-16 year old cards because of the age have many technical problems from the electronic point of view.
      i can say for all the computers i do support i removed all systems older than 12 years from service.

see it like this i have a HD6870 not in use i can give it away for free... 0€ and if you watch ebay cards like these go for 1€

this leaves only noebooks/laptops who can not replace the gpu ...

or do you think you need to run on dx9/dx10 class hardware if you can get a better dx11 card for 0€ ?
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

FP64 is only supported in hardware on a subset of the Terascale chips.
        Am I correct that among EG/NI, those are Cypress/Hemlock, Cayman and Aruba? Those chips have FeatureFMA enabled in LLVM, and according to the ISA documentation, FP32 FMA is present if FP64 operations are supported, and also the R600g PIPE_CAP_DOUBLES query code, while returning 1 for all EG/NI chips due to the software implementation, has another semi-leftover conditional specifically for those chips. Or are there some additions/exception to this?

And is there a list of R6xx/R7xx chips supporting double-precision operations? I'm unable to locate any official documentation for this unfortunately, the closest I was able to find is two somewhat contradictory statements in the OpenCL programming guide saying that "double-precision is only supported on the AMD Radeon™ HD69XX devices", yet "a Cypress device can perform two double-precision ADD operations/cycle in each stream core", and R6xx/R7xx don't have FP32 FMA that's tied to FP64 availability in later generations, so LLVM's FeatureFMA doesn't cover them.

Comment

Originally posted by Triang3l View Post

Am I correct that among EG/NI, those are Cypress/Hemlock, Cayman and Aruba? Those chips have FeatureFMA enabled in LLVM, and according to the ISA documentation, FP32 FMA is present if FP64 operations are supported, and also the R600g PIPE_CAP_DOUBLES query code, while returning 1 for all EG/NI chips due to the software implementation, has another semi-leftover conditional specifically for those chips. Or are there some additions/exception to this?
          It's been a while, but IIRC, the following terascale chips support FP64:
          RV670
          RV770
          Cypress/Hemlock
          Cayman
          Aruba

Comment

Working...
          X