AMD's RS880 / 785G Gains Open-Source Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman
    There also used to be a requirement for different processes to handle the more analog-y functions on SB, not sure if that is still a factor.
    I'm nowhere near the level of designing full-custom chips (yet), but I'd bet that the higher voltages used in some older digital I/O standards (e.g. USB and LPC) are still a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by b4283 View Post
      i've used both on my 780G, but didn't find any differences though. (maybe in the Xv accelerations?)
      With apparently someone porting HDMI audio to the ati driver, the biggest difference should be in r5xx modesetting afaik, everything else just pretty much the same. Then when we get kernel modesetting, there really should be no differences between the two drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        With apparently someone porting HDMI audio to the ati driver, the biggest difference should be in r5xx modesetting afaik, everything else just pretty much the same. Then when we get kernel modesetting, there really should be no differences between the two drivers.
        i really hope that we could get kernel modesetting and 3d on RS780 sometime soon 'cause fglrx is crashing my Xorg and programs all the time.

With the compiz in action, has someone already tested the new 3d acclerations with any 3d games yet ?

Comment

I'm getting a little tired of the way these mainboards with integrated gpu's are layed out.... Why the obsolete dsub-15 vga plug? Why not dual-dvi? If somebody wants to plug an obsolete monitor into it, ship it with a DVI-DSUB15 adapter!

Comment

Originally posted by b4283 View Post
            With the compiz in action, has someone already tested the new 3d acclerations with any 3d games yet ?
            There's problems with some tests still, regressions and otherwise. Also there's the speed issue with buffer swapping. No point trying with games or normal-use with Compiz yet, it's just not yet ready for those. The bit of news was mostly that it can run Compiz, not that it can run Compiz with useful speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
              I'm getting a little tired of the way these mainboards with integrated gpu's are layed out.... Why the obsolete dsub-15 vga plug? Why not dual-dvi? If somebody wants to plug an obsolete monitor into it, ship it with a DVI-DSUB15 adapter!
              I've been asking the very same thing myself monitor-side. I've recently seen 1080p monitors that only had VGA connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                There's problems with some tests still, regressions and otherwise. Also there's the speed issue with buffer swapping. No point trying with games or normal-use with Compiz yet, it's just not yet ready for those. The bit of news was mostly that it can run Compiz, not that it can run Compiz with useful speeds...
                It was running ppracer a few days ago, but it looks like something broke since then.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  It was running ppracer a few days ago, but it looks like something broke since then.
                  Ah, one of the gazillion racer games for Linux featuring Tux?

Comment

Yep. The downside of open source is that you can download the same game a half dozen times under different names

Last week ppracer and etracer were working sorta-ok, in the sense that you could play without interruption, Tux and the controls/status displays were clear, and enough of the course details were visible to navigate most of the time.

This week some of the text lines are over-writting each other and choosing "Practice" then selecting a course results in immediate termination on etracer and termination after a few seconds of play on ppracer. The failure message is :
                    etracer: radeon_lock.c:65: radeonGetLock: Assertion `drawable != ((void *)0)' failed.
                    Aborted
                    There is also a texture warning but that occurred last week as well.

Anyways, let's let agd5f finish working on the accelerated back-to-front copy first
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
                      You cannot connect two DVI (or even 1 HDMI and 1 DVI) displays to the 785G, it is a hardware limitation.
                      Some 780G mobos have DisplayPort connectors so you can have two digital displays, at the expense of the PCIe x16 port. However for 785G I don't think any DP mobos are announced.

Comment

Working...
                      X