AMD Catalyst 9.7 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    I'm going to say something controversial, but I've been feeling like this for a long time now...

Most ATI users on this website need to have a tall glass of STFU! Yes, the driver has issues. Yes, you have to right to feel however you choose after you spend your money on hardware. But what annoys me is the lack of maturity amongst ATI users on this website. Even though fglrx has issues, the driver has had issues for years now (way before AMD bought ATI). So to expect a flawless driver experience is completely unrealistic. That's not making excuses for them - that's stating the obvious. When I bought my HD 3870 I intended on playing games in Windows, and I expected Linux support to be a work in progress. Which brings me to my second point:

Just because the feature you want isn't working doesn't make the new driver a complete waste. I'm sorry, but that line of reasoning is completely fucking childish. Catalyst 9.3 & 9.4 improved compositing support. Catalyst 9.4 - 9.6 each fixed bugs and significantly improved wine support (perfect example is HL 2 supports DirectX 9 now). So just like you can make the argument that theses drivers are worthless, I can make the argument that they're excellent because they fixed the bugs *I* was waiting on.
    so true.
    And even if 9.8 is going to work with 2.6.30, has perfect 2d, perfect xv and never locks up, people would still complain.

Comment

I created a diff showing the differences between the beta and 9.7. Maybe it can be used so that the 9.7 driver can support .29 or .30 kernels.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

its been a while since i used my onboard ati gpu (6 months) but i remember terrible 2D performance with enabled composite...
        and though i read the comments and news on every new fglrx release i dont know how well this works by now...
        can someone enlighten me?

Comment

Originally posted by hpestilence View Post
          I created a diff showing the differences between the beta and 9.7. Maybe it can be used so that the 9.7 driver can support .29 or .30 kernels.

http://pastebin.com/f3e07714e
          It compiles and starts up X but it seems like i'm getting software rendering. Glxinfo get me this:
          name of display: :0.0
          X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
          Major opcode of failed request: 134 (GLX)
          Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
          Serial number of failed request: 12
          Current serial number in output stream: 12

Comment

Meh, after this release (still no support for 2.6.29? WTF?) and seeing as the open source drivers will get support for the remaining features in r6xx-7xx cards starting with 2.6.32 (KMS/power throttling/suspend/3D) I decided to remove "fglrx" from my VIDEO_CARDS variable and leave just "radeon radeonhd".

Goodbye forever, fglrx. I won't miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
              Meh, after this release (still no support for 2.6.29? WTF?) and seeing as the open source drivers will get support for the remaining features in r6xx-7xx cards starting with 2.6.32 (KMS/power throttling/suspend/3D) I decided to remove "fglrx" from my VIDEO_CARDS variable and leave just "radeon radeonhd".

Goodbye forever, fglrx. I won't miss you.
              I guess you didn't see the former posts about a leaked 9.8 driver, which corfirms 2.6.30 in the next fglrx official release?

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                I guess you didn't see the former posts about a leaked 9.8 driver, which corfirms 2.6.30 in the next fglrx official release?
                well, then they still have to fix S2Disk and implement KMS in fglrx (which they don't want to do though)...

I wonder how hard it can be to fix S2Disk, it never worked for me with any fglrx release I tested, not even before 8.42.

Comment

Originally posted by hpestilence View Post

http://pastebin.com/f3e07714e
                  Can this fix the binary blob? (rhetorical question)

Comment

For the record, 9.8 beta includes a package called xvba (guess what that is ) and seems to improve video and 3d performance. Still no VSync on OpenGL 3 contexts, despite the introduction of GLX_SGI_swap_control.

I'll test suspend now.

Edit: (one reboot cycle later) No, suspend is thoroughly broken. With 9.7, you can suspend but resume hardlocks. With 9.8 you hardlock before suspending.
                    Last edited by BlackStar; 25 July 2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Edit: (one reboot cycle later) No, suspend is thoroughly broken. With 9.7, you can suspend but resume hardlocks. With 9.8 you hardlock before suspending.
                      And you can scratch suspend from my previous list: I've just tested using the gnome suspend dialog (instead of the custom script I used to use) and it works flawlessly with the OS driver . So it's just KMS, power throttling and 3D (all of them very close to be supported).

Comment

Working...
                      X