Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to go out and get a 780G, what can I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay... so after 3 weeks of waiting for the mobo to be delivered, and a few days of procrastinating, I just got X working with the radeon (git) driver. It needed a bit of poking to stop locking up randomly, but wow... it was worth it for the difference in 2D speed alone.

Now I just need to get alsa to behave itself. Is the HDMI audio thing even usable through a DVI port?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
      ow I just need to get alsa to behave itself. Is the HDMI audio thing even usable through a DVI port?
      Afaik it should work at least with radeonhd.

Comment

I should rephrase that as "does a DVI port have the right electrical connections to carry sound?"

The comment about misbehaving was that the motherboard's sound chip wasn't showing up in alsa but the graphics card was. I'd messed the kernel config up but it all works now.

Comment

no
          dvi does not have the connections

Comment

I should rephrase that as "does a DVI port have the right electrical connections to carry sound?"
            DVI has the sufficient wires for HDMI audio and you don't even get sound quality degradation because DVI and HDMI are electically compatible so conversion isn't required. If you have a DVI port in your graphics card and your card supports HDMI audio, it should be able to output it through the DVI port. It does require HDMI support on the other end too though.
            Last edited by nanonyme; 14 August 2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I had it connected to my TV with an adapter while I was installing stuff but never thought to test the sound. Right now I'm just using my old monitor + headphones, but I'll have to try that when I get some spare time...

Also I just found out UT2004 in 64-bit mode doesn't support software rendering. Guess I'll have to wait a while...

Comment

Also I just found out UT2004 in 64-bit mode doesn't support software rendering. Guess I'll have to wait a while...
                It doesn't run with software rasterizer? Now, that's odd. It's a fine and capable driver usually, albeit slow. That was a bit unexpected. Anyway, you're right though, the r600 Mesa driver still has one big issue (as in, geometric corruption; probably covering an armada of smaller issues). Will take a while for it to mature...

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  It doesn't run with software rasterizer? Now, that's odd. It's a fine and capable driver usually, albeit slow. That was a bit unexpected. Anyway, you're right though, the r600 Mesa driver still has one big issue (as in, geometric corruption; probably covering an armada of smaller issues). Will take a while for it to mature...
                  I believe the poster was talking about the built in SDL software renderer that ut2004 comes with, not the mesa software rasterizer.

Adam

Comment

I tried it with software mesa already, but it was unusably slow...

Comment

Working...
                    X