ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    A number of the power saving features have already been ported to radeonhd :

http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00163.html

As soon as the 6xx/7xx 3D code has been tested to the point where we think the kernel API can be frozen the drm code will be merged upstream, probably into 2.6.32. It sure would be nice if we could slide into 2.6.31 but it's going to be pretty late in the release cycle by the time we have enough coverage to freeze the API.
    And once again, be insulted by Linus

Comment

• Yes, I read about and saw some rude voides over there.
      But better have a stable and working implementation a little bit later than a thing that crashes the system or makes a lot of mess pressed into the "market" as early as possible like some commercial software (e.g. games are often released too early and full of bugs). Though it will be a hard time for me still to wait til .32 to see it hopefully finally working. Maybe fglrx catches up and fills the gap inbetween.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• FYI MrCooper (M. Daenzer) just pushed a change which gets rid of the black screen problem. The root cause seems to be something deeper but this lets you run glxgears without getting the black screen.
        Test signature

Comment

• Very good. Black screen is gone on glxgears.

Graphic corruption still there. This is seen on my hardware by opening a terminal in X and using cli to start glxgears. Ones the gears are spinning, grap the terminal window and drag it partially over the gears window. Below the gears window, graphic corruption occurs.

Definitely progress. Keep up efforts.

Comment

• Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
            Very good. Black screen is gone on glxgears.

Graphic corruption still there. This is seen on my hardware by opening a terminal in X and using cli to start glxgears. Ones the gears are spinning, grap the terminal window and drag it partially over the gears window. Below the gears window, graphic corruption occurs.

Definitely progress. Keep up efforts.
            Same for me.

Last edited by Nille; 21 July 2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• I can verify that the blackscreen bug is gone (at least on my Radeon HD 3200). gears works and also glxgears. Both show no obvious color problems. Testing some more testcases from the progs dir.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                Both show no obvious color problems. Testing some more testcases from the progs dir.
                If you move the Terminal windows over the glxgears windows has no picture corruption like on my picture ?

Comment

• Yeah, can confirm your screen corruption when moving a window over the glxgears window. The corruption seems to contain also old framebuffer content, since I can see a bunch of old demo stuff in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
                    The corruption seems to contain also old framebuffer content, since I can see a bunch of old demo stuff in there.
                    Ok i dont have Hallucinations because first time i have see a part from an video ^^.

Comment

• Thank you very much!

This may not be the best place. but I'd like to thank everyone involved for these great news!

I've made a few comments about how much fglrx sucks for me which in fact turned out to be a hardware defect (that is already off the table), but last time I checked it sucked for real and big time (it began to take at least three dozen times longer to even get to the login screen and GNOME also started much slower, but my absolutely favorite part was the horror when I tried to play some video - no matter if Compiz was on or off - and drag it's viewport around the desktop at the same time), so right now I'm stuck with Ubuntu 9.04's default xf86-video-ati, which leaves me only with EXA and Xv.
                      Now, this means I may actually see my card doing useful stuff with open driver by the time 9.10 gets out, which makes me so ecstatic that I won't have much trouble forgetting everything and just be glad I purchased ATi GPU afterall!
                      Excellent, keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                      X