Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanonyme
    replied
    You seem to grok the repeating part anyway.

Leave a comment:

• pvtcupcakes
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    This is what bug fixing looks like, unfortunately.

Somewhere in a million lines of code is either an error or something that doesn't work the way the developers think it did. They can either step through massive amounts of data until they find the problem (which can take weeks) or they can forumalate hypotheses, lay traps, and hope they guessed right (which can also take weeks). When the cause is found, the fix is usually relatively small. Repeat.

In the meantime, other developers are working on completely different things in the same common code, sometimes breaking functionality that was already working, which requires that the new problems be diagnosed as well. Repeat.

That's pretty much the current situation in a nutshell.
    Gotcha. I do some programming myself, but I've never dealth with more than 10,000 lines of code, and I'm usually the only one working on it.

Can't image what it'd be like to find a bug in something that huge.
    But it was kind of strange to see r600 development go from not running glxgears to where it is now in the span of two weeks then come almost to a halt for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• pvtcupcakes
    replied
    -snip double post lol-
    Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 03 September 2009, 02:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    This is what bug fixing looks like, unfortunately.

Somewhere in a million lines of code is either an error or something that doesn't work the way the developers think it did. They can either step through massive amounts of data until they find the problem (which can take weeks) or they can forumalate hypotheses, lay traps, and hope they guessed right (which can also take weeks). When the cause is found, the fix is usually relatively small. Repeat.

In the meantime, other developers are working on completely different things in the same common code, sometimes breaking functionality that was already working, which requires that the new problems be diagnosed as well. Repeat.

That's pretty much the current situation in a nutshell.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 September 2009, 12:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pvtcupcakes
    replied
    I'm kind of interested in what the devs are up to. I've been watching the git logs on Mesa, and there hasn't been much r600 stuff in the last week or two; just a few less than 10 liners.

Leave a comment:

• forum1793
    replied
    I haven't rebuilt since yesterday but get same rgb stuff with glxgears mentioned above. On the other hand scores for glxgears are much better than previously. Showing 2000+ instead of 900+. So we can't see but it happens much faster

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Just to be clear, there does seem to be something wrong with the latest 3D driver tree (I had a problem with glxgears only showing previous background on rv620), and resizing the window is a temporary workaround.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    I tried `mplayer -vo gl` which seems to do the same thing though I managed to get it to show one frame of the video by wiggling the window around. The only problem is I've now got two unkillable apps.

(Edit: ) I'm going to wipe my git downloads and try installing again just in case I have something stale there.

(Edit 2) Nope, no use.

Just in case I did something really stupid here, these are the git commits of what I just installed:
    • xf86-video-ati: master 794ae743c305331741e7cf45dd71c755fe325ed5
    • drm module and libdrm: r6xx-r7xx-3d 8e297c0a6bcc383aa990db3fe1f79f873aecc63b
    • mesa: master dc9de8064f52b12d29d9ecd51b765973ac293fac
    Last edited by Ant P.; 02 September 2009, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    Meanwhile the glxgears window is just displaying a static picture of RGB noise... did I do a git pull at a bad time?
    try resizing the widow or another 3d app.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X