ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Rather try to find out why they're loaded and if necessary file bugs on Ubuntu's bug trackers.
    I saw someone else mention this issue in the #radeonhd archives (last month). At this point, I'm not sure what's causing it, but I guess it's related to agd5f's drm.

When Karmic Alpha5 comes out, I'm going to do a fresh install and see if I can reproduce it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanL View Post
      I saw someone else mention this issue in the #radeonhd archives (last month). At this point, I'm not sure what's causing it, but I guess it's related to agd5f's drm.
      I'd consider that a bit unlikely without hearing a very good reason. :3 More likely your Ubuntu kernel or initrd is loading the Intel drivers for some reason or another...

Comment

• It's related to drm in the sense that the intel drm seems to interfere with other drms; my guess is that there's going to be a requirement for one more level of runtime decision-making (eg only load drm X if the right hardware is there) which either doesn't exist yet or isn't working yet.
        Test signature

Comment

• My apologies - apparently, the Ubuntu kernel update caused this and not building agd5f's drm. The problem also exists for nouveau users. Here's the bug report for those interested: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...ux/+bug/404496

Comment

• Hello.

I just compiled everything to make my rv670 card 3d work. Reboot... Log in to KDE session, everything works so far. glxinfo says it just works. But glxgears crashes X.

I use Fedora 11 now (not Rawhide). Dmesg says:
            Code:
            [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* CS ioctl called without modesetting
            uname -sr:
            Code:
            Linux 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.x86_64
            Xorg.log doesn't say anything which can help (I think).

I compiled mesa-master and agd5f/drm-r6xx-r7xx-3d + radeonhd-master.

Comment

• I've installed all the bits to give the 3D driver a go... but it doesn't go

Code:
              $ glxgears 
              IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 18
              Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
              approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
              do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
              Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.
              4 frames in 6.0 seconds =  0.665 FPS
              2 frames in 6.0 seconds =  0.333 FPS
              ^C
              Meanwhile the glxgears window is just displaying a static picture of RGB noise... did I do a git pull at a bad time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                Meanwhile the glxgears window is just displaying a static picture of RGB noise... did I do a git pull at a bad time?
                try resizing the widow or another 3d app.

Comment

• I tried `mplayer -vo gl` which seems to do the same thing though I managed to get it to show one frame of the video by wiggling the window around. The only problem is I've now got two unkillable apps.

(Edit: ) I'm going to wipe my git downloads and try installing again just in case I have something stale there.

(Edit 2) Nope, no use.

Just in case I did something really stupid here, these are the git commits of what I just installed:
                  • xf86-video-ati: master 794ae743c305331741e7cf45dd71c755fe325ed5
                  • drm module and libdrm: r6xx-r7xx-3d 8e297c0a6bcc383aa990db3fe1f79f873aecc63b
                  • mesa: master dc9de8064f52b12d29d9ecd51b765973ac293fac
                  Last edited by Ant P.; 02 September 2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Just to be clear, there does seem to be something wrong with the latest 3D driver tree (I had a problem with glxgears only showing previous background on rv620), and resizing the window is a temporary workaround.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                      X