No announcement yet.

ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The -22 error usually means you have the wrong drm code, typically a stock kernel or drm from master without the new ioctls used by 6xx/7xx 3D.
    Test signature

Comment

• I get the same error. To get the new drm code i did this:
      Code:
         git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/drm
         cd drm
         git checkout -t -b r6xx-r7xx-3d origin/r6xx-r7xx-3d
         ./autogen.sh --prefix=$(pkg-config --variable=prefix libdrm) --libdir=$(pkg-config --variable=libdir libdrm) --includedir=$(pkg-config --variable=includedir libdrm)
         make
         sudo make install
      Is there anything wrong? Or is it because i'm using a 2.6.30 kernel?

Comment

• As I'm on karmic I use kernel 2.6.30-10.12. I didn't notice anything on ~xorg-edgers page about what kernel should I use for Karmic. Do I have any chance to try it without kernel compilation? What kernel and from what PPA is suitable for karmic and new drivers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
          I get the same error. To get the new drm code i did this:
          Code:
             git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/drm
             cd drm
             git checkout -t -b r6xx-r7xx-3d origin/r6xx-r7xx-3d
             ./autogen.sh --prefix=$(pkg-config --variable=prefix libdrm) --libdir=$(pkg-config --variable=libdir libdrm) --includedir=$(pkg-config --variable=includedir libdrm)
             make
             sudo make install
          Is there anything wrong? Or is it because i'm using a 2.6.30 kernel?
          That only installs libdrm. you need to build and install the kernel modules as well. Backup your old drm modules first, then:
          cd linux-core
          make drm.o radeon.o
          cp drm.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm
          cp radeon.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon

Note that the modules path may vary depending on your kernel and distro.

Comment

• Thank you! I works. It's really slow, but it works. (and that's what i expected)

Comment

• @agd5f

Using dkms makes backups by default. Just use my script mentioned above for all Ubuntu/Debian installs...

Comment

• I just got 3D working with the new patch for kernels newer than 2.6.28; I have 2.6.30.4. I'm getting 300fps on glxgears on my 4850, which seems higher than what everyone else is getting. If I turn on Kwin effects (still on kde 4.2.4) on XRender mode I get 200fps in glxgears. XRender mode didn't work before I got 3D working correctly, but OpenGL mode still isn't working on Kwin.
                Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 04 August 2009, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• That sounds suspiciously fast. What does the renderer string in glxinfo say ?
                  Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    That sounds suspiciously fast. What does the renderer string in glxinfo say ?
                    Oh crap, it says Software Rasterizer.

Maybe I'll just go back and rebuild everything.
                    lsmod says I have radeon and drm loaded, and both were built from agd5f's r6xx-r7xx-3d drm branch.

I also have git mesa, git libdrm, and git xf86-video-ati. Before the patch for 2.6.29 and newer kernels I was getting the drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22 error. So it was at least trying to work.

Edit:
                    Found something at least:
                    Code:
                    casey@gentoobox ~ $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
                    (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
                    (EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
                    Code:
                    casey@gentoobox ~ $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW
                    (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
                    Okay, I see the problem. I'm using a modified ebuild another user gave to me, but for some reason it's not pulling the right repository.

I'm dumb. I had made a copy of the unmodified ebuilds and put them in a different overlay which Portage was installing instead of my modified ones.
                    Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 04 August 2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Can you pastebin your dmesg output ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X