ATI R600/700 OSS 3D Driver Reaches Gears Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
    Any estimate on when we can expect the necessary DRM to be merged into the kernel? 2.6.31-rc4? Or is that being too hopeful?
    I doubt the merge window has been open for some time. I'd think 2.6.32 at best.

Comment

• I think 2.6.32 is most likely, with some backporting into whatever distro releases are locking down with earlier kernels.

We are going to want to get a bit more test coverage before we feel comfortable freezing the kernel API and that is going to be getting fairly far into the 2.6.31 release cycle. The addition of the 6xx/7xx 3d ioctls seems pretty low risk ("hardware enablement" more than "new functionality") but it hasn't really been reviewed in detail yet.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
        I run startx from command line and get the black screen. I'm using kde so maybe the kde window manager plays a role.

Also, thinking the pixman problem might be due to headers used in compiling, I recompiled 0.15.16 after installing the drm/mesa...

Same lock up problem. As soon as you click the mouse on a window top bar, the mouse icon turns to the four arrows (one in each direction). You drag the window and it locks up. The problem is repeatable. Went back to pixman-0.15.10 and no lockups.

As the other distributions adopt the newer xorg-server files this problem will become more of an issue.
        This has nothing to do with pixman, it's a bug within xserver specifically exa that was already fixed in git master, if you are experiencing something different compile all of your code with -g and -O0 flags and attach Xorg pid to a gdb to get a traceback when assertion strikes. http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...93b2a28f6de316, http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22642.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
          Any estimate on when we can expect the necessary DRM to be merged into the kernel? 2.6.31-rc4? Or is that being too hopeful?
          yes it is. Merging policy: only bug fixes for regressions are allowed.

After -rc1 and certainly -rc2 the merge window is closed. Linus can become very unpleasant if you sent him new stuff after that point. He sometimes makes exceptions - that does not change the fact that rc4 is way too late.

Comment

• Regarding pixman: thank you for the clarification. I will try the xorg-server git if I am able to compile it without too much difficulty. In the meantime, reverting pixman back to 0.15.10 is, at a minimum, a temporary solution.
            Last edited by forum1793; 19 July 2009, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by forum1793 View Post
              Regarding pixman: thank you for the clarification. I will try the xorg-server git if I am able to compile it without too much difficulty. In the meantime, reverting pixman back to 0.15.10 is, at a minimum, a temporary solution.
              Recompiling xserver shouldn't be that bad if you get all of the necessary prerequisites. The 35758544813f156eaac28844e693b2a28f6de316 commit will be making its way into 1.6 stable branch, it is on the wishlist: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Server16Branch, as an alternative you could try patching your distro's current xserver with this particular commit.

Anyway radeon guys, have fun, I've been on the:
              Code:
              OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
              OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.3 on NVA0
              OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.6-devel
              with KMS, TTM, and DRI2 for while and it's a blast, most of the demos run, currently textures and shaders are WIP at least for nv50.

Comment

• Little Update with the latest Versions 3d works. about the black screen issue this appears only if glxgears has the focus.

About the yellow screen problem with the radeon driver its easy to fix. Disable compiz and its works like a charm.

NOTE: this time EXA was on.

Comment

• Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  with KMS, TTM, and DRI2 for while and it's a blast
                  Actually part of the point of the radeon-rewrite/r6xx-rewrite is that it doesn't need KMS, TTM or DRI2.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    I'm using an rs780 now and all works pretty well here, so we are testing those chips. To test the 3d stuff you'll need 2.6.27/28 for right now. As to the the power management, the radeon driver (xf86-video-ati) in git has some relatively new power options to reduce the engine clock and pcie lanes when the system is idle. There is also an option to force lower clocks all the time.
                    Sounds neat. Thanks for the tip, Alex. Though I hope the power stuff will also enter the xf86-video-radeonhd or they will someday merge both drivers.
                    So could that also be the reason why fglrx would not like 2.6.29/30? The problem is that my 790GX and some other onboard components seemed to have hiccups and errors with earlier kernels, that was the main reason for me to quickly rush to 2.6.29 as soon as it was out and then also use the 2.6.30 in Gentoo's ~amd64 "unstable" branch. I hope that these issues will settle soon since many users will just be using the Distribution's default kernels and most D's tend to use quite recent ones (besides Debian and Slackware maybe). In Gentoo I could still choose but then live with other issues.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• A number of the power saving features have already been ported to radeonhd :

http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/2.../msg00163.html

As soon as the 6xx/7xx 3D code has been tested to the point where we think the kernel API can be frozen the drm code will be merged upstream, probably into 2.6.32. It sure would be nice if we could slide into 2.6.31 but it's going to be pretty late in the release cycle by the time we have enough coverage to freeze the API.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 19 July 2009, 03:13 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X