Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon PRO W7700 Launches As $999 GPU With Fully Open-Source Upstream Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the photos mentioned "GDDR6 with ECC" IIRC.
    I'm still a little confused about which consumer GPU cards use the "built in" GDDR6-whatever error detection / correction (???) vs. have more width of data to provide the redundancy bits for correction or what. Does the 7900XTX have full "ECC" that is actually enabled / supported all the way between the RAM and the SW so that basically any normal error (e.g. N bits worth per X bits access width or more) will be detected & corrected either by a bus-retry or parity bits creating enough redundancy or whatever kind of packet coding they use in transport at the PHY/LINK level or what.
    Obviously I need to find a good article about how "ECC" works wrt. GDDR-n.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    When comparing the W7900 to the 7900XTX, the only difference I could find is VRAM quantity. Traditionally, AMD's pro cards would have significantly better FP64 performance but in this case they appears to be the same.

Comment

Where is SR-IOV?

Comment

Does this support hardware virtualization or it's still not expensive/pro enough for AMD?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Only 16GB?

Comment

AMD really needs to get more people working on ROCm. Support needs to be there across the line for all cards. That even workstation cards launch without ROCm support is embarrassing.

Comment

So in the end, faster than 7500 but for 3 times the power consumption... So, no thanks for me. We have to save energy, that's our only option.

Comment

Originally posted by tehehe View Post
                Only 16GB?
                For the price it's actually not bad. Better than NVIDIA's VRAM for this price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

Well, AMD works sometimes.
                  Jumping through burning hoops:

The 'Special Cases' section interests me, especially. Looks like a complicated situation, though?

Comment

A compute card with no support for their own compute stack. AMD is really pushing to new limits when it comes to neglecting their compute support.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      When comparing the W7900 to the 7900XTX, the only difference I could find is VRAM quantity. Traditionally, AMD's pro cards would have significantly better FP64 performance but in this case they appears to be the same.
                      ......... i have a AMD PRO W7900 around thats why i know this
                      Last edited by qarium; 15 November 2023, 12:04 PM.
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X