X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by tball View Post
    Ok, but shouldn't it be enough upgrading to radeon-git without touching mesa? If my only interest is powersaving?
    yes, all the pm stuff is in the ddx at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Absolutely. The radeon git code should be all you need. I only mentioned mesa in response to your comment about radeon-rewrite (since that was a mesa branch).

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Hold on thar'
    Ok, but shouldn't it be enough upgrading to radeon-git without touching mesa? If my only interest is powersaving?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Hold on thar'

The radeon-rewrite effort was a rewrite of the radeon portion of mesa, nothing to do with the radeon driver. Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing :

- radeon driver is in xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

- mesa driver is in mesa/mesa

- radeon-rewrite is a branch of mesa/mesa, now merged back into master

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    The 6xx-7xx branch of radeon is obsolete; all the code was merged to master a few months ago. You may find you already are using radeon master; my recollection is that the PM options went in after the 6xx/7xx code was merged in, so I don't *think* you would be getting power management options with the 6xx-7xxx branch of radeon.

For drm, it depends a lot on what distro/kernel you are running and whether you want to try the 6xx/7xx 3D driver code. If you want to run the 3D driver code then you need the r6xx-r7xx-3d branch from agd5f's repo (~agd5f/drm on freedesktop.org) and 2.6.28 or earlier kernel.

If you aren't trying to test the 6xx/7xx 3D code and are running Jaunty then you have the necessary drm code in your kernel already, otherwise you probably want to pick up 2.6.30 or later kernel code.
    Thx for your reply. I will try radeon master then instead, which I asume is the radeon rewrite. :-) I guess drm hasn't anything related with powermanagement.

I am using Arch btw.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    The 6xx-7xx branch of radeon is obsolete; all the code was merged to master a few months ago. You may find you already are using radeon master; my recollection is that the PM options went in after the 6xx/7xx code was merged in, so I don't *think* you would be getting power management options with the 6xx-7xxx branch of radeon.

For drm, it depends a lot on what distro/kernel you are running and whether you want to try the 6xx/7xx 3D driver code. If you want to run the 3D driver code then you need the r6xx-r7xx-3d branch from agd5f's repo (~agd5f/drm on freedesktop.org) and 2.6.28 or earlier kernel.

If you aren't trying to test the 6xx/7xx 3D code and are running Jaunty then you have the necessary drm code in your kernel already, otherwise you probably want to pick up 2.6.30 or later kernel code.

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    Are you actually using the 6xx-rewrite radeon driver and 6xx-7xx-3d drm branch, or standard radeon X driver and drm ?

ForceLowPowerMode also changes the number of active PCIE lanes; first guess is that the PCIE lane change is more likely to be causing the problem than the clock change.
    I am using the 6xx-7xx branch of drm and radeon.
    Should i use drm master?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Are you actually using the 6xx-rewrite radeon driver and 6xx-7xx-3d drm branch, or standard radeon X driver and drm ?

ForceLowPowerMode also changes the number of active PCIE lanes; first guess is that the PCIE lane change is more likely to be causing the problem than the clock change.

Leave a comment:

• tball
    replied
    I would love using this driver, If I could get the low power modes to work proberly.
    When enabling this in my xorg.conf

Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "True"
    Option "DynamicPM" "True"
    Option "ClockGating" "True"
    I get funny (purble) colors at icons and my icons in the kde-startment is corrupted. It is specially when enabling ForceLowPowerMode i see the corruptions?

Could it be the new clock in the chip is making my gpu too slow to redraw surtain things before it is drawned to the screen?

I need the low power mode, because else my laptop is getting too hot (not that it crash, but I don't like it).

Without the ForceLowPowerMode, the driver works flawless.

Specs:
    C2D 2,5 gHz
    Radeon mobility HD3650

Thx in advance

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Ask us again in a week. We're just working through blocker bugs and missing bits right now so it's a bit hard to predict a short term schedule.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X