Open-Source ATI R600/700 3D Driver Almost Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    Ok, but shouldn't it be enough upgrading to radeon-git without touching mesa? If my only interest is powersaving?
    yes, all the pm stuff is in the ddx at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
      I get funny (purble) colors at icons and my icons in the kde-startment is corrupted. It is specially when enabling ForceLowPowerMode i see the corruptions?

Could it be the new clock in the chip is making my gpu too slow to redraw surtain things before it is drawned to the screen?

I need the low power mode, because else my laptop is getting too hot (not that it crash, but I don't like it).

Without the ForceLowPowerMode, the driver works flawless.
      Probably the pcie lanes as Bridgman noted. You could try commenting out the calls to change the pcie lanes in the driver. The corruption is probably due to EXA DFS. DFS is kind of flakey, especially when PCIE lanes are reduced, so you can try disabling DFS (Option "EXANoDownloadFromScreen")

Comment

Thank you both. I will try and report back.
        Great to have direct contact with the devs :-) Thats one of the reasons I love oss.

Comment

thats what i kinda love about you amd guys!
          while neither driver is perfect (and i dont hold it against you + you can see the progress and the work that is being done) you still answer questions and help out with the people and their problems and questions!
          big thanks!

Comment

Hmm, similar situation as above, trying to use the git radeon driver to get my fan speed a bit lower, I'm getting a different issue though. The xorg.0.log isn't showing anything too unusual but the screen just turns black as soon as X starts up. The fan then slows down so it seems to be working, but Xorg locks up and I have to ssh in to shut down my PC.

It's an R700 (4870 X2), I'm wondering if something that ForceLowPowerMode is doing is messing with the PLX chip between the GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
              Hmm, similar situation as above, trying to use the git radeon driver to get my fan speed a bit lower, I'm getting a different issue though. The xorg.0.log isn't showing anything too unusual but the screen just turns black as soon as X starts up. The fan then slows down so it seems to be working, but Xorg locks up and I have to ssh in to shut down my PC.

It's an R700 (4870 X2), I'm wondering if something that ForceLowPowerMode is doing is messing with the PLX chip between the GPUs.
              I'm thinking that a GPU that's not properly cooled will lock up. And since you've got 2 of them (and both are hotheads ), the high fan speed might be mandatory.

Comment

Nah, it runs fine in Windows at very low speeds, plus the black screen is instant, the second X starts up, which isn't indicative of a heat issue. In Windows the default 2d speed is about 30% fan, in Linux without ForceLowPowerMode it's 100% and sounds like a jet engine.

Comment

OT: fglrx power saving

Hi,

Apologies for this being off topic but I've got another question about Ubuntu 9.04 and fglrx and I thought I'd ask it while the ATi brains were about.

On my server, which as mentioned uses a 790GX + SB750 chipset, the monitor blanks when not being used but never seems to go into DPMS off (light never flashes, screen still glowing with backlight bleed, comes back on instantly when mouse moves)

Not sure if this is fglrx not playing nice or an Ubuntu setting I can't find.

Also, thanks to the person who posted a ppa fix to the slow maximise problem.

bridgman: A realy OSS radeon driver question, how did unravelling the UVD2 on the 780G go? Can it be made available without compromising the DRM (the bad kind) part? Is it the same UVD2 as on the 790GX?

Regards,

J1M.

Comment

@bridgman and @agd5f

The Option "EXANoDownloadFromScreen" did actually help. No visible corruptions anymore, but with ForceLowPowerMode turned on the computer freeze when login out, shutting down or suspending. I have to hold down the power button to shut down.

When it isn't enabled everithing works.

So, how much does the ForceLowPowerMode option do more than de other options? Can I leave it disabled?

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post

Not likely that it's messing with the PLX chip. More likely, the clocking changes have to be synchronized between GPUs or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X