Monitor out-of-range after installing fglrx driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor out-of-range after installing fglrx driver

My system used to run opensuse11.0 with the fglrx drivers perfectly happily. I had to reinstall due to a dead hard drive, and found that after installing opensuse11.1 I can't get any video after installing the fglrx driver. I have since tried to install 11.0 again and get the same problem, so I don't think it's a difference between 11.0 and 11.1. The card is an AGP ATi Radeon 2600HD Pro.

My monitor's native resolution is 1024x768 and it runs fine at 60, 70 and 75Hz. With a fresh install of opensuse using radeonhd drivers it displays fine at 1024x768. If I download the ATi driver install run file directly from AMD's site, it runs fine and all appears to have worked. When I run aticonfig ?initial all seems to be OK until I restart X, at which point my monitor shows ?out-of-range?. If I then reboot to runlevel 3 and restore the old xorg.conf that worked fine before the fglrx drivers were loaded, all I get is a blank screen when I start X.

I have tried quite a few different methods of installing the drivers, and spent a lot of time trying to tweak xorg.conf to get a display with fglrx, and my results are all in a thread on linuxquestions.org: here.

Given that a known-good xorg.conf still failed after the fglrx drivers went in, can anyone tell me what else has changed? There must be some other configuration files I am missing that went in with fglrx.

Any help much appreciated.

I don't know how Suse packs its stuff, but, on Gentoo, it's absolutely forbiden to use the AMD/ATI Catalyst installer.
    Doing leads straight to an unstable system, as the Gentoo packaging management links some libraries instead of replacing them (or something like that).

The question would be : are you sure it's safe to install fglrx from ATI web site ? Wouldn't you use rather some fglrx out of packman ?

Gentoo as also marked as a dependency of fglrx 9.6 a special release of xorg-server (1.5.3-r7, while the 1.5.3-r6 can't be used with fglrx 9.6). Also is the possibility to use xorg-server 1.6.
    Perhaps, on Suse, is there also some issues between a particular xorg version and fglrx 9.6 ?
    Try downgrade to fgrlx 9.5 or upgrade X to the latest available ?

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have also tried many times to install the fglrx drivers from the opensuse repositories here: http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya..._Video_drivers and from the one-click instal option (which is pretty much the same thing) here http://en.opensuse.org/Howto/ATI_Driver#1-click_install. The result is pretty much the same. See my link above to the other forum thread to see what I've tried so far, but I think my summary in post1 is probably most relevant, since the good xorg.conf file still failed there must be settings elsewhere that are installed by the ATi config script.

I haven't really thought about compatibility of xorg vs fglrx yet, thanks for the suggestion. I might try to get an earlier version of fglrx and try that.

Comment

Working...
      X