OpenGL 2.0+ in Mesa Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 2.0+ in Mesa Driver?

Based on my Intel driver experience, the low performance in games was due to a lack of OpenGL 2.0 support in the drivers. When that hit, all of a sudden, fps for games (UT2004, War3) rose from <1 to ~30 and became fully playable.

Any idea when the same level will be reached for ATI cards on the OSS driver? Will it be done in classic mesa (with radeon-rewrite) or will we have to wait for Gallium3D?

I guess bridgman already answered this before. I guess we have to wait until Gallium3D is fully stable for ATI cards. ETA next summer?

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
      I guess bridgman already answered this before. I guess we have to wait until Gallium3D is fully stable for ATI cards. ETA next summer?
      Yeah, implementing everything over classic Mesa would very much be possible in the KMS + kernel memory manager world but since code sharing between different drivers (that is, not just radeon ones but Intel and the bunch as well) will be greater in Gallium, it might or might not make sense. I suspect no one complains if someone actually wants to implement OpenGL 2.0 over the radeon-rewrite.
      I doubt ETA's make much sense since they're after all just estimates and things live a lot. For better and for worse. (while fully stable is a very bad phrasing, hardly anything is fully stable, I would guess that radeon Gallium3D being in a running state by next Summer would be more of a pessimistic estimate but you never know)

Comment

Working...
      X