xrandr -q blinks and freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed!

Hmmm well whatever the problem was, I fixed it by installing the X updates from that PPA. Here's how:

Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys AF1CDFA9
    sudo echo "deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu[/url] karmic main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    And then restart your computer (not just X). Seems to work fine now.

Comment

I have gotten this as well, i just disabled the randr extension. That also made Xorg start about 3seconds faster.

Then again, i don't need randr

Comment

Originally posted by TobiasTheViking View Post
        I have gotten this as well, i just disabled the randr extension. That also made Xorg start about 3seconds faster.

Then again, i don't need randr
        Indeed, the driver has broken RANDR support - disabling RANDR fixes all problems.

Use
        Code:
        aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE
        to disable RANDR.

Comment

I don't think its a driver problem. I don't got any problems like what you have descriped with arch 64.

I got
          - fglrx 9.6
          - kernel 2.6.30
          - xorg 1.6.1.901
          - mobility hd3650

You might have an X issue?

Comment

I don't think its a driver problem. I don't got any problems like what you have descriped with arch 64.

I got
            - fglrx 9.6
            - kernel 2.6.30
            - xorg 1.6.1.901
            - mobility hd3650

You might have an X issue?
            Do you have a CRT? Apparently it may be specific to them only. Seeing as CRTs are old tech the ati devs probably only test with LCD screens, so its understandable that breakages could occur with their randr implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
              Indeed, the driver has broken RANDR support - disabling RANDR fixes all problems.
              I need randr to support 2 screens. (serverlayout approach gives me two individual screens and xinerama gives me crash)

Comment

Originally posted by Timmmm View Post
                Hmmm well whatever the problem was, I fixed it by installing the X updates from that PPA. Here's how:
                Perhaps instead of an apt-get voodoo i would be more interested in the individual versions of the components you've upgraded to.

Comment

OK, i upgraded xorg to latest individual packages and the problem DID NOT go away. Any other ideas please?

Comment

I have same problen with xrand and the blink.

The diference is that I use open source drivers instead of fglrx, Had you get any solution of the problem?

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txutxifel View Post
                      I have same problen with xrand and the blink.

The diference is that I use open source drivers instead of fglrx, Had you get any solution of the problem?

Thanks!!!
                      Nope. Apparently nobody gives a damn about CRT users anymore :<

Comment

Working...
                      X