No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The texture/crash issue is fixed in wine.git (http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...37c564c4647f5a), at least for the fbo. This problem should be resolved in the 1.1.24.

I ran into the installer bug for GW with 1.1.23. I'll need to back down to 1.1.21. Unfortunately I have a busy weekend ahead so I'm not sure when I will get the time.
    Last edited by mklean; 19 June 2009, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
      I hope nobody fucked up his system with Darksurf's instructions.

Here:

download that
      extract in /usr/local/portage/x11-drivers/
      make sure you have ~arch set for ati-drivers
      emerge ati-drivers
      eselect opengl set ati.

AND DON'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FROM Darksurf!
      What the heck are you talking about? I am using the drivers right now with absolutely no problems. This also was for a gentoo based distro.
      Cant help it if you aren't linux savy enough to follow simple instructions. If anyone uses a gentoo based distro and would like help with this, I'll gladly give step by step instructions on how to do it.
      This way it can easily be removed using portage and upgraded when a better version or ebuild comes out.

Till then, don't tell people not to listen to others just cause you don't understand or cannot follow instructions. If you've got a better ebuild then just say so, no need to attack others.

Comment

• oh yeah? skipping 'eselect opengl set ati' and then forcing the ati libs into the system by the installier is simply braindead. If you can't even understand why that is stupid you shouldn't even use a gentoo based system. Harsh, yes. But true.

If I must remind you. In gentoo, opengl is managed by different diurs for the implementations. eselect then sets the correct symlinks.

So far, so good. This gives a lot of flexibility. And cleanliness.
        If you use the installer, it writes the files where the symlinks should go. Suddenly you can not switch around easily (which had to be done for some apps to compile in the past). Suddenly you have crap not managed by any package manager in the system.
        Pure idiocy.

Comment

• This driver is pure evil. Look at how otherwise sane people are now ready to kill each other.

By the way, i got the sucker working on ubuntu 9.04 x86_64, with kernel 2.6.28.13

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
            oh yeah? skipping 'eselect opengl set ati' and then forcing the ati libs into the system by the installier is simply braindead. If you can't even understand why that is stupid you shouldn't even use a gentoo based system. Harsh, yes. But true.

If I must remind you. In gentoo, opengl is managed by different diurs for the implementations. eselect then sets the correct symlinks.

So far, so good. This gives a lot of flexibility. And cleanliness.
            If you use the installer, it writes the files where the symlinks should go. Suddenly you can not switch around easily (which had to be done for some apps to compile in the past). Suddenly you have crap not managed by any package manager in the system.
            Pure idiocy.
            My my, is flaming the only thing your good at? I used slackware for 4 years and never had the need for a package manager to do my work for me. R you saying that you cannot manage your own computer without the help of a package manager or a GUI? If you cannot do this you have no right to ridicule me. at least I made an effort instead of crying like some of your friends. You make a mountain out of a mole hill. These things are easily fixed. Quit your crying.

Instead of flaming, help others. Ebuild manifest is one way to do things, ebuild digest is the way i've been doing it for a couple years now. I've had no problems and it works fine. Don't see what your complaint is there.

Also, you did a good job on the ebuild, just needed a little TLC for some of us so I gave it a little update for the 2.6.30 kernel users
            and those who use Xen. I'm not trying to show you up or anything, I'm just out to help.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZY31Q2ZK

This should work for both 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.

cd and extract in /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers
            ebuild ati-drivers-8.624.ebuild manifest (yeah, it works too)
            emerge ati-drivers
            eselect opengl set ati

Energyman, Thanx for a working ebuild. Gentoo is still kinda new to me. I've used Slackware most my life. No need to be nasty, we can all be nice and help out each other without flaming.

Comment

• Gentoo isn't Slackware. You aren't supposed to do things by hand in Gentoo. There are tools you should use, or you break the system. So your instructions are not for everyone. If you don't know how to unbreak the system, don't follow them. If you know how to unbreak your system, I suppose you didn't need those instructions in the first place

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Gentoo isn't Slackware. You aren't supposed to do things by hand in Gentoo. There are tools you should use, or you break the system. So your instructions are not for everyone. If you don't know how to unbreak the system, don't follow them. If you know how to unbreak your system, I suppose you didn't need those instructions in the first place
                You do have a point, but any linux system allows you to do things by hand. Thus the freedom and flexability of linux. You don't always need to use the tools, they are helpful, yet sometimes they do hinder your possibilities. Gentoo and Slackware users should usually be advanced users. Many novice users use ubuntu (no insult intended) and have tools to do these things for them, but some advanced users want to push the limits of what the tools allow. Improvisation is then used to acquire what is wanted and allows those who are yet advanced to learn.

Slackware is like linux bootcamp. You do EVERYTHING by hand so you understand linux and how the file structure, files, etc work. So if something goes wrong you know how to fix it without GUI and/or tools and sometimes you just make your own tools and scripts. That is how i learned. I'm sure gentoo users can handle themselves just fine with the basic knowledge of how linux and the files work. And novice users of Gentoo can use Sabayon (its what I use). It has a binary package manager as well as portage and they are compatible with each other. Thus allowing advanced users and novice users to use what they prefer and giving an OOTB (out-of-the-box) experience.

But again, you do have a point. Those not of an advanced nature wouldn't be happy with the results unless they had help.
                Last edited by Darksurf; 19 June 2009, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• guys, calm down. But, Darksurf, energyman is right. If we follow your way, then the /usr/lib/libGL.so symlink will have a big trouble in compiling new x-server, mesa, libdrm etc, because the portage will delete the symlink at the switching OpenGL library stage and cause an error in compiling.

Comment

• Anyone have a patch for opensuse 11.2 [?], it uses kernel 2.6.30.

Comment

• Just thought I might give my experience to all the complainers around here.

My first ATI 4850 died for some obscure reason, and since I heard that the NVIDIA UNIX driver was so much better than the ATI one, I replaced it by a 9800GT (big mistake in terms of performance over the 4850 i know, but the price tag of the GTX260 is way higher...).

So i came back home, and installed the NVIDIA driver. So far so good.
                      I'm using Slackware 12.1 with 2.6.27, compiz with rox-filer. I noticed no real difference at first since I had no real problem with the latest ATI apart from the openGL apps. XV was fine with both drivers (mplayer patched to make it work with compiz), compiz too.

At some point, using the scale compiz module, hard freezes came to happen. Bad news indeed, since I figured out that the NVIDIA team, despite numerous reports of the same error, just isn't ready to fix it for some obscure reason (to my knowledge at least). The NV forum is also loaded with unhappy users (but none of them are yelling that ATI is better, for some reason ).

I switched back to the 4850 because it's much better in Dos Games compared to the 9800 GT (even GTX). The driver seems fine with me in Linux overall, I can watch 1080p HD movies without any performance issue in Compiz, I can play OpenGL games too. Sure the latest kernel isn't supported, and I understand it might be frustrating for the latest develoment (which ones, out of curiosity ?). But, it does mostly what it is supposed to do, isn't it ?

Things are going better now, and will keep going this way I'm sure.
                      Grass is always greener next door.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X