AMD Releases Catalyst 9.6 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kensai View Post
    As to the one that said no company has done as much as amd/ati for Linux, I just have to laugh. Intel has done way more things, way way way more. USB 3.0 is the most significant right now, they are constantly coding for the kernel and without them the kernel wouldn't have a whole lot of features even AMD users enjoy. AMD just gives some documentation that keeps their open source drivers a trash.
    You are missing the point. Opening up the driver stack is showing your competitor your hand without seeing his.

Don't forget that ATi and nVidia are the two leading GPU vendors, so it is a very big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      You are missing the point. Opening up the driver stack is showing your competitor your hand without seeing his.

Don't forget that ATi and nVidia are the two leading GPU vendors, so it is a very big deal.
      Not a big deal, nvidia owns this market, and until ati decides to not treat linux as a joke they won;t be respected.

Comment

Not a big deal, nvidia owns this market, and until ati decides to not treat linux as a joke they won;t be respected.
        Again, you are missing the point.

The hardware is the same for Linux and Windows, which means that the secrets that is exposed in the open source drivers, can nVidia dig through.

And if they find hardware design flaws, they will set up benchmarks where these bugs are tricked.

Not to mention, if ATi have done something very clever, nVidia can just take it, and deal with the law suite later, if ATi ever finds out.

For a very long time that what Intel's strategy. To steal from AMD, and even if AMD won the law suite, the money Intel had made from the stolen technology was greater then the fee.

Comment

Their open source driver is a trash for rx600 cards and above,
          My r700 card works great out-of-the-box for everything I need (EXA, Xv etc.) except 3d.
          At least NVIDIAs closed source driver is so good that you don;t even wish for an open source one.

Comment

Buying an ATi card was the worst decision I ever made in my life. It really goes to show that paying a little more and getting an Nvidia is definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
              Buying an ATi card was the worst decision I ever made in my life. It really goes to show that paying a little more and getting an Nvidia is definitely worth it.
              sorry if i need to correct you, but writing this post was the worst decision in your life...
              go fail somewhere else please.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                ATi drivers have absolutely no worth. THE WORLD KNOWS ATI SUCKS. You cannot embarrass yourself any further. Ok so a few devs at Nvidia may die of laughter when they see the ATi code, but you can't do anything about that.

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                sorry if i need to correct you, but writing this post was the worst decision in your life...
                go fail somewhere else please.
                fanboy FAIL.
                Last edited by cruiseoveride; 15 June 2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by teuf31 View Post
                  Enough is enough. Tomorrow, I buy a NVIDIA card for my mediacenter. I'm tired of waiting for an XvBA interface that will never come out. Never more ATI
                  You go ahead and do that and be forever locked into a binary driver with a company that will never change policy.

I will instead start using the open source ATI driver when it's ready, help with debugging, and maybe even contribute some code. Until then for 3D I keep a 2.6.27.x kernel around (which is still updated with security patches, btw).

Comment

ATi drivers have absolutely no worth.
                    How old are you?

THE WORLD KNOWS ATI SUCKS. You cannot embarrass yourself any further. Ok so a few devs at Nvidia may die of laughter when they see the ATi code, but you can't do anything about that.
                    nVidia fanboy

I actually think that it is ATi's latest card that is the fastest

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
                      My r700 card works great out-of-the-box for everything I need (EXA, Xv etc.) except 3d.
                      I second that, my HD 3200 IGP worked wonders for everything but 3D. I can't wait for 3D Support to kick in and switch over for good.

Comment

Working...
                      X