Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
    Cheers energyman.
    I was going to make my own ebuild tonight, but you've saved me the trouble!
    my ebuild is incomplete - it always patches for 2.6.29 and it doesn't patch for .30 yet - because I was lazy Also: no reiser4 for .30 yet.

but if you have to use 2.6.28 you can comment out the epatch - and if you need .30 - adding a patch to an ebuild is easily done.

Comment

• I just tried 9.6 with fc11 userspace and 2.6.28.10, no go.

9.5 worked with the same kernel using fc10 userspace though.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
        my ebuild is incomplete - it always patches for 2.6.29 and it doesn't patch for .30 yet - because I was lazy Also: no reiser4 for .30 yet.

but if you have to use 2.6.28 you can comment out the epatch - and if you need .30 - adding a patch to an ebuild is easily done.
        It's all good - I'm still running 2.6.29 anyways (I just like seeing Tuz for a bit longer).

Comment

• Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
          Downgrade to Fedora 10, compile wine-git and HL2 with catalyst 9.6 works great with radeon 4850 here all the DX9 effects on!
          That depends. With 1.1.23 (wine) and the default fbo backbuffering mode a large number of D3D apps are crashing with catalyst. Apparently some sort of inability to render a particular texture type.

Changing the rendering type to backbuffer allows some apps to get a bit further, but the only D3D app that I've tried (Guild Wars) crashing after loading when it begins to render the playscreen.

X3 Reunion doesn't render menus/text and many textures properly(black areas) using either native .dlls or wine versions so I'm inclined to believe that this is yet another catalyst bug as replacing some of the wine .dlls with native ones apparently allows it run well on nVidia parts.

Opengl based windows apps seem to work OK, or at least the only one that I tried, Minions of Mirth runs fine.

At least the horrible flickering that opengl apps exhibited a while ago is gone, just wish that they'd fix the compiz/beryl awake from sleep freeze, video playback freezes, texture rendering, etc. (These all have entries in the unofficial bugzilla already and in wine's bugzilla as well, but those are mostly broken catalyst problems and have been marked as such.)

I feel like an beta tester.

Comment

• Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post

I feel like an beta tester.
            Well, the last "stable" WINE release *is* 1.0.1.
            1.1.23 broke a lot of Windows installers for me; almost none of my games can install. 1.1.18-1.1.21 seem to be the best revisions.

Comment

• Running Demigod with wine git - fbo using fglrx 9.6 renders DX9 mo-better.

I'll try Guild Wars when I get the chance and confirm if I get the same problems. Cutterjohn, you are running fglrx 9.6?
              Last edited by mklean; 18 June 2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                Well, the last "stable" WINE release *is* 1.0.1.
                1.1.23 broke a lot of Windows installers for me; almost none of my games can install. 1.1.18-1.1.21 seem to be the best revisions.
                I can add some further (anecdotal) evidence of openGL apps under 1.1.23 not working with 9-6 (windows apps crash out, X stays up thankfully)

I've not checked 1.1.21 but have found 1.1.22 to run stably.

Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64 2.6.28,2.6.30 with fglrx 9-6

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitmasker View Post
                  I can add some further (anecdotal) evidence of openGL apps under 1.1.23 not working with 9-6 (windows apps crash out, X stays up thankfully)

I've not checked 1.1.21 but have found 1.1.22 to run stably.

Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64 2.6.28,2.6.30 with fglrx 9-6
                  Anyone having trouble with Wine 1.23 please try to change HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/OffscreenRenderingMode to either of the methods described at http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys.
                  Wine changed the default value of that thing in 1.1.23 (not sure if the info on the wiki page has been fixed accordingly, yet), so it was expectable that many apps might break (on the other hand, other areas improved with this method).
                  If things suddenly start working magically, file a bug in the Wine bugzilla, maybe it's just a driver bug or indeed something wrong in Wine.

Comment

• Originally posted by mklean View Post
                    Running Demigod with wine git - fbo using fglrx 9.6 renders DX9 mo-better.

I'll try Guild Wars when I get the chance and confirm if I get the same problems. Cutterjohn, you are running fglrx 9.6?
                    Yep, just installed it the other day and tried GW with both backbuffer AND fbo. Same results as with 1.1.22.

With backbuffer it crashes right after logging in and apparently finishing the "loading" screens, i.e. when it starts to try to render a play screen.

With fbo, it just bombs out before even getting to the login screen.

I have debugging enabled, and see no complaints of missing .dlls(Had alot of these a long time in in the 0.9x series.) Just some complaints of various shader operations not supported, and then usually a stack error.

This is WITH fbo rendering:
                    Code:
                    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7e475900 "x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out in thread 0018, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
                    err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
                    I had the same error under 1.1.22 as well IIRC, however I did not own GW until AFTER I had already gone to 1.1.22.

This is WITH bacbuffer rendering
                    Code:
                    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eb54,0x00000000), stub!
                    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33e228,0x00000000), stub!
                    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33dc28,0x00000000), stub!
                    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33dcb8,0x00000000), stub!
                    fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb41-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
                    fixme:devenum:DEVENUM_ICreateDevEnum_CreateClassEnumerator Category {cc7bfb46-f175-11d1-a392-00e0291f3959} not found
                    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetDialogBoxMode (0x155740) Dialogs cannot be disabled yet
                    err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32_FLOAT
                    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetDialogBoxMode (0x155740) Dialogs cannot be disabled yet
                    err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_R32_FLOAT
                    fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #171:
                    fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log     Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.
                    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x15cdad4,0x00000000), stub!
                    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x15cde50,0x00000000), stub!
                    fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log Error received from GLSL shader #186:
                    fixme:d3d_shader:print_glsl_info_log     Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.
                    err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
                    '...' = skipped lines, bunch of complaints about keyboard layout stub, the GLSL error I'm guessing aren't a problem, but then at the end we also see that we die with the same error.

The Steam client itself seems to run OK, which is what I used to install GW.

I read all about the massive installer problems w/1.1.23 AFTER I started looking for "fixes" for my wine problems again. As a matter of fact, I noted that the reports appeared for the SVN version BEFORE 1.1.23 was even released. Seems like someone dropped the ball on that...

Just to be clear I've got catalyst 9.6, Ubuntu 9.04 x86-64(latest updates), and wine 1.1.23 on an MSI GT725-074US.

As to the offscreenrendering mode when defaulted to fbo, as wine does now when there is no registry key entry, crashes just about everything using D3D and the catalyst drivers. Creating the key and setting the value to backbuffer allows many D3D programs to get further, however in my case(s) above(this post, as well as others) I'm right back to where I was before.

Doing a good deal of searching on the winehq.org pages, and the web it seems that the problem is the inability of catalyst to render certain types of textures, and seems to have been deemed a catlyst driver bug by the wine developers.

The reason that I feel like a beta tester is that the only measurable improvement I can see over the catalyst version from 9.2 IS the fix to remove screen flicker when an opengl app was running in a window, and the apparent removal of random screen corruption from 9.5->9.6 or at least I haven't observed it(corruption) yet with 9.6.

I STILL get random video playback freezing X.org(rest of the machine is probably up, but I've got no backup machine ATM to try to ssh in to this one), as the ALT-PRTSCR+RSEINUB reboots ok.

I also STILL get freezes upon waking from sleep/hibernate with compiz/beryl enabled. Other users have reported this as well, IIRC we had a bried discussion about it in the 9.5 thread.

Pretty much the low quality of catalyst X.org drivers have pretty much forced me to give up on using linux + X.org for anything even remotely graphically intensive for fear or hardlocking the machine and/or triggering other wonder catalyst bugs which seem to be endless in number and severe in nature.
                    Last edited by cutterjohn; 19 June 2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                      Anyone having trouble with Wine 1.23 please try to change HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/OffscreenRenderingMode to either of the methods described at http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys.
                      Wine changed the default value of that thing in 1.1.23 (not sure if the info on the wiki page has been fixed accordingly, yet), so it was expectable that many apps might break (on the other hand, other areas improved with this method).
                      If things suddenly start working magically, file a bug in the Wine bugzilla, maybe it's just a driver bug or indeed something wrong in Wine.
                      Despite this being a Direct3D key it allowed my opengl game to load without error under wine 1.1.23 (with OffscreenRenderingMode -> backbuffer). Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X