Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROCm 5.5.1 Released For AMD's Open-Source Compute Stack

Phoronix: ROCm 5.5.1 Released For AMD's Open-Source Compute Stack

Following the release at the start of the month of ROCm 5.5, today it's been succeeded by the ROCm 5.5.1 point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

agd5f Frontier uses rocm? Be it upstream or modified versions of it

Comment

I'm still hoping that AMD will support consumer grade cards in the future. It is a pitty that you can't just check out rocm with your already purchased card. Or just as hobbiest. This could help to underwhelm Nvidias CUDA domination.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        I'm still hoping that AMD will support consumer grade cards in the future.
        Did you try if it works? You may be lucky, even if support is not officially advertised.
        The ROCm OpenCL stack works well on consumer grade cards and Blender with hip works on consumer cards, so hip seems to be working as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Seebi View Post

Did you try if it works? You may be lucky, even if support is not officially advertised.
          The ROCm OpenCL stack works well on consumer grade cards and Blender with hip works on consumer cards, so hip seems to be working as well.
          I tried. Not successfully yet. I'm owning a 5700XT it should work according to a lot of Reddit posts but I need to tinker more. Even if I have setup a dedicated distro environment to meet the requirements as close as possible it is still quite an endeavour.

If I wouldn't be keen to try it ...I would already stop trying. This is quite discouraging since I want to support AMD to break the CUDA dominance.

Comment

I'm still hoping that AMD will support consumer grade cards in the future. It is a pitty that you can't just check out rocm with your already purchased card. Or just as hobbiest. This could help to underwhelm Nvidias CUDA domination.
            At least HIP works perfectly ok on both my RX 5700 and RX 7900XTX (tried it with Blender). OpenCL works at least on the latter card.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

At least HIP works perfectly ok on both my RX 5700 and RX 7900XTX (tried it with Blender). OpenCL works at least on the latter card.
              any good guide? I was recently trying https://www.reddit.com/r/StableDiffu...on_an_amd_gpu/

Got drivers etc installed but I guess something went wrong with the pytorch rocm docker. It says CUDA is missing

Comment

rocm is still a headache to work with, I wish AMD went a different route, also very much not a fan of single vendor implementations

Comment

any good guide? I was recently trying https://www.reddit.com/r/StableDiffu...on_an_amd_gpu/

Got drivers etc installed but I guess something went wrong with the pytorch rocm docker. It says CUDA is missing
                  Well, since I am on Ubuntu all I did was install the official repo for 22.04 and installed the hip-runtime-amd package. Didn't produce any conflicts with my mesa drivers form the kisak repo. In the past I never managed to get it to work but with the new gpu I gave it another shot and - after a painless success - tried it on my 5700 - and at least HIP is detected and supported by Blender OOTB (the user has to be member of the render group). With OpenCL on the 5700 I haven't had any luck so far.

Comment

I am dismayed to hear that ROCm is required to use OpenCL (and I think OpenMP for GPGPU), and that it doesn't support consumer cards. There's so much compute resources bottled up in the latest cards that we should be able to take advantage of.

Comment

Working...
                    X