AMD Radeon RX 7600 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's what I saw. 5000->6000 was a pretty big jump in GPU power. 6000->7000 feels like 6XXX->6X50; RX 580->590. It uses a bit more power for a bit more performance. Rather underwhelming from a performance gain standpoint.

I feel like that's the old school way of looking at things. Think about it like this. This is this generation's shitty gaming GPU from AMD. The shitty gaming GPU does 1080pUltra at 120 FPS. That's not shitty performance. That level of performance would have been between mid-range and top of the line 5 or 6 years ago and it matches performance of the premium version of it's predecessor that released at $75 to 100 more two years ago.

While it's very lackluster with the performance increase we expect new generations to typically bring, it's very exciting in the dollars to framerate increase.
    If we consider the perfomance jump from RX 6600 to RX 7600: ~18%
    The estimation for:
    7700XT would be 231pts in the overall which is roughly a RX6800/RTX3080
    7800 would be 282pts so right inbetween 6800XT and 7900 XT

but the 18% estimation factor is already the upper bound. Applying 18% on the 6800XT to get a 7800XT equivalent would be above 7900XT which doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 24 May 2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Considdering that 6600 XT is faster and cheaper I don't see how this is a good product/price point.
      Only by $15 to $20 (using Newegg prices). At first glance that isn't that bad and is a reasonable price increase over the previous gen.

However, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, these days a 6700 XT is only $50-$75 more than either the 6600 XT or RX 7600. An RX 6700 costs the same to less than the RX 7600. That's where AMD messed up. $15 to $20 more for the new model isn't that bad. When that $15 to $20 makes the current-gen low-end costs the same as the previous gen low-mid, that's a very big mess up. Because of that 10GB 6700 elephant, this should be a $239 GPU.

From that POV, why would anyone buy a 6600 XT or an RX 7600 when for $50-$75 they can go from being stuck at 1080p to having 2K and 4K capabilities or for the same price they can get a good 2K GPU in the RX 6700. The XT's extra 2GB of Vram and umph matters.

AMD has too many tiers of GPUs so that they end up competing with themselves more than they do with NVIDIA.

Why buy new AMD when old AMD costs the same and has more performance?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Why buy new AMD when old AMD costs the same and has more performance?
        Apple User: Why not to buy?

Comment

Both X600 GPUs are somewhat useless, typically you would buy those to upgrade an old system on the cheap but their PCIe Interface is cut in half so you need atleast PCIe 4.0 to get the full potential.

I'm watching the market to get an upgrade for my PCIe 3.0 system and that means atleast X700 but they are still not priced correctly and I need a card that is less than 220 cm long which is a rare thing lately.

For now my RX 480 is doing the job all right, mostly older games that are fine with it. Not much interesting stuff in the AAA game sector ...

Comment

Michael do you happen to have some information about idle power consumption, especially with multiple monitors? I'm wondering if that's fixed with a switch to monolithic chip

Comment

graphics cards

Comment

8 GB VRAM is unfortunate. And, with the market prices of other options, 7600 would only look attractive at ~$220 to me. Otherwise, 6650XT/6600XT at the 7600 MSRP price is better and available (XFX, MSI). I hope 7700 would be better than 6700XT and has 16GB VRAM but not that is probably not happening. My wallet likes skipping 7xxx generation though.

Comment

This is a significant improvement over last gen, yet, it really shows how overpriced last-gen was considering how this is still underwhelming.
                  Except for performance-per-watt, this is a major leap over the 6600.
                  When you account for performance-per-cost (at MSRP) it's also a big improvement.
                  If you account for RT and video transcoding performance, it is a nice improvement. Though, the RT performance is still pretty bad.
                  Yet... still a bit too expensive for what it is. At least it isn't outrageously overpriced like the 4060 Ti.

Comment

Originally posted by agurenko View Post
                    Michael do you happen to have some information about idle power consumption, especially with multiple monitors? I'm wondering if that's fixed with a switch to monolithic chip
                    Memory reclocking is dependent on the display timing and whether there is enough time in the blanking periods to reclock memory before active scanout begins. Mono vs. chiplet should not make a difference.

Comment

Over the years i have bought and used cards from various vendors, Nvidia, ATI, AMD, Matrox, Hercules, 3dfx, so I have no allegiance to any one vendor.

For me, the best value is the Intel A380 at $120, which has 6gb vram and a better AV1 encoder.

Reviews show the A750 beating the RX7600 but they are priced comparably.

My guess is that these cards from AMD will probably prove to be great at compute, as historically they had great FPU performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X