Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Driver Lands More Vulkan Overhead Reduction Optimizations

Phoronix: RADV Driver Lands More Vulkan Overhead Reduction Optimizations

Timur Kristóf of Valve's Linux graphics driver team has landed a new set of patches for Mesa 23.2 that are further optimizing the Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" for lower overhead in some code paths...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you team Valve, for all the improvements you are doing, keep up the outstanding work.

Comment

I'm really impressed at the latest benchmarks showing how much more consistent the frame time of proton is vs windows, sure there's still most of the time a small perfs hit, but I'll take a more consistent frame rate over jaggy "higher on average" experience

Comment

This reminds me of the reviews of Asus Ally vs Steam Deck, and some reviewers asking what is the Steam's secret sauce, well it is not secret, it's actually open source drivers

Comment

Can anyone with RDNA 3 please check if you get a GPU hang in latest version of CP2077 when ray tracing is enabled (latest Mesa main)? Couldn't find any other reports so far, but it hangs consistently for me.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Can anyone with RDNA 3 please check if you get a GPU hang in latest version of CP2077 when ray tracing is enabled (latest Mesa main)? Couldn't find any other reports so far, but it hangs consistently for me.
            Raytracing is not yet fully supported on RDNA 3 GPU's with the RADV driver.

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
              I'm really impressed at the latest benchmarks showing how much more consistent the frame time of proton is vs windows, sure there's still most of the time a small perfs hit, but I'll take a more consistent frame rate over jaggy "higher on average" experience
              If the game is already using Vulkan there won't be any performance hit, but if there's a conversion from DirectX to Vulkan then there might be some 2-5% performance hit.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                This reminds me of the reviews of Asus Ally vs Steam Deck, and some reviewers asking what is the Steam's secret sauce, well it is not secret, it's actually open source drivers
                Which is especially impressive to see when considering that the stable version of SteamOS is still on Linux 5.13 and some reviewers used Proton 7.0, which was first released more than a year ago.

The upcoming SteamOS 3.5 release will most likely further increase Steam Deck's lead over the Asus ROG Ally at lower wattages, which is the whole point of a portable device form-factor...

Comment

That and the fact that gamescope makes plenty of garbage PC ports (that handle resolutions and aspect ratios incorrectly) actually tolerable, and controller support is generally in a FAR better state on Linux compared to Windows.

Armoury Crate is already an unstable mess before, and tacking on a tacked-on user interface onto Windows isn't going to fix the underlying issues with using Windows on a TV, handheld system, or controllers. Controller oriented Tenfoot interfaces on PC were janky and inconsistent before Steam Big Picture set the standard.

Comment

It's both hardware and software. Steam Deck is more efficient if you restrict power use to 10W or less, which is reportedly due to Valve's custom chip, while Ryzen Z1(Extreme) in the ROG Ally comes with many things you don't need in a gaming handheld.

and SteamOS outperforms Windows (on average)

Comment

Working...
                    X