RadeonSI Can Begin Using Valve's ACO Compiler For Certain Shaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Not sure what you are referring to. LLVM is open source.
    I think it is about performance competition, because they believe that the llvm backends isn't on-par with amdgpu-pro's shader compiler and ACO is.

Comment

Is the generated machine code also better with ACO? At least that is what I hope for and expect from that change.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

I think it is about performance competition, because they believe that the llvm backends isn't on-par with amdgpu-pro's shader compiler and ACO is.
        LLVM preforms well. Take a look at radeonsi benchmarks.

Comment

LLVM preforms well. Take a look at radeonsi benchmarks.
          Isn't the main difference between AMDVLK and AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan driver the shader compiler (foss LLVM vs proprietary one)? If so I think he might refer to that, hoping that ACO would improve radeonsi performance in a similar way.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yes, but it uses Apache 2.0 (https://foundation.llvm.org/relicensing/LICENSE.txt)
            Which, as far as I know, allows corporations to make proprietary derivative works (probably under some conditions).

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Yes, but it uses Apache 2.0 (https://foundation.llvm.org/relicensing/LICENSE.txt)
              Which, as far as I know, allows corporations to make proprietary derivative works (probably under some conditions).
              Mesa is MIT licensed.

Comment

obligatory rusticl when?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  obligatory rusticl when?
                  Technically, it already works with the latest Mesa-git, the right compile flags and the right environment variables.
                  But I must say, I can't wait for it to reach a stable release!
                  I'm also very excited for rusticl on nouveau, which will finally bring nouveau somewhat on par to Nvidia's proprietary driver feature-wise, for GPUs supporting re-clocking (and I do own a GTX 980M laptop).

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

But I must say, I can't wait for it to reach a stable release!
                    It already did, did you miss mesa 23.1? At least on Gentoo you can already use rusticl with the latest stable release, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the only Linux distribution to take advantage of it: https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gento...-23.1.0.ebuild
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The shader compiler that the proprietary driver uses (wait a moment... does it use LLVM now?)

Comment

Working...
                      X