AMD ROCm 5.5 In The Process Of Being Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Unfortunately not true, here is a test I did in October (I only tested OpenCL, I used LuxMark 3 LuxBall as a benchmark):

Even the Radeon Instinct MI25 didn't worked.
    Weird that it crashed on the MI25, pretty sure that shouldn't have happened, and I didn't realise rocm-opencl's APU support was as spotty as HIP's, but most cards you tested are older than Vega and are officially unsupported. In my tests, RDNA1 and RDNA3 never gave me any issues, while Clover pretty much never worked.

But I stand corrected, it seems OpenCL is basically only supported on GPUs that also support HIP, so mostly discrete GPUs, with some exceptions like VanGogh.

Comment

It is AMD`s tradition​ not to annoce positive press release 7 days before positive Quarterly results release and to release as many as possible postive press releases 7 days before negative Quarterly results release

and
      AMD to Report Fiscal First Quarter 2023 Financial Results

SANTA CLARA, Calif., April 18, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) announced today that it will report fiscal first quarter 2023 financial results on Tuesday, May 2, 2023, after the close of market.​

Comment

Originally posted by wsippel View Post

Weird that it crashed on the MI25, pretty sure that shouldn't have happened, and I didn't realise rocm-opencl's APU support was as spotty as HIP's, but most cards you tested are older than Vega and are officially unsupported. In my tests, RDNA1 and RDNA3 never gave me any issues, while Clover pretty much never worked.

But I stand corrected, it seems OpenCL is basically only supported on GPUs that also support HIP, so mostly discrete GPUs, with some exceptions like VanGogh.
        ROCm OpenCL has still more hardware compatibility than HIP, the only one I got working with ROCm OpenCL was the Steam Deck APU, but it is known the hardware is not good enough for HIP. Outside of the obvious “now unsupported by ROCM” reason for older GPUS, unless proved wrong I consider the real difference among the Vega cards was the motherboards. I assume that for some reasons the Steam Deck aligns things properly so it works.

Actually some people told me that enabling CSM in BIOS is likely to make ROCm not working, I'll test this one day. I know the motherboard I used to test the MI25 was booting Linux with UEFI but CSM was enabled even if not needed. I also assume that the Steam Deck didn't had CSM enabled, so I want to see if disabling CSM fixes ROCm on the MI25 and if this claim may be true.

Comment

Unfortunately not true, here is a test I did in October (I only tested OpenCL, I used LuxMark 3 LuxBall as a benchmark):

Some people says it can also depend on the motherboard and some UEFI option, not only the GPU. In the past ROCm even explicitely required some CPU/MOBO features not all computer had. You have to properly align the GPU, the Motherboard, the CPU and maybe even the UEFI configuration to get ROCm working.

ROCm is a very good example of software one can say “it works for me” but cannot assume it will works for others. I would be very happy if “ROCm supports any AMD GPU since at least Vega, OpenCL should work anywhere” was true. It is not, unfortunately.
          I found there's a bug where ROCm-OpenCL can fail on some HW when installed along side clover and/rusticl (not sure which one). It seems like they don't like sharing memory together, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Using them separately seems fine to me. E.g. running "clinfo" can trigger a crash, as it's calling into multiple implementations at once.

I'm not sure how you're running "PAL" on Linux for GCN 4+... maybe you're testing Windows? PAL is only supported for Polaris at this moment on Linux, and Orca is long dead at this point. Granted you might be able to find really old builds of PAL or Orca that support those.

ROCm generally doesn't work on GCN 4.0 or older (support is spotty, buggy, and unmaintained), but it should still run on the Vega 3 no?

Comment

Originally posted by wsippel View Post

These results seem inconsistent with my testing. It works fine on the Ryzen APU's I have (Raven and Renoir), mostly ok with a RX 500 series (some crashes depending on workload, but I expect this with GCN 4 or older), and very well with a RX 6000 series I have.

EDIT: I assume my Raven is closest to the "Vega 8" mentioned. I think Renoir is Navi based, but I have no idea. RX 500 is Polaris, and I'm pretty sure RX 6000 is Navi 2x/RNDA2
            Last edited by Mystro256; 02 May 2023, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Some people says it can also depend on the motherboard and some UEFI option, not only the GPU. In the past ROCm even explicitely required some CPU/MOBO features not all computer had. You have to properly align the GPU, the Motherboard, the CPU and maybe even the UEFI configuration to get ROCm working.

ROCm is a very good example of software one can say “it works for me” but cannot assume it will works for others. I would be very happy if “ROCm supports any AMD GPU since at least Vega, OpenCL should work anywhere” was true. It is not, unfortunately.
              AFAIK, ROCm requires specific PCIe features to work well, but I've also seen some really crappy MOBO's out there. I can't say I've dealt with HW alignment issues, although all my systems only use Ryzen's if that makes a difference, and I very carefully choose my MOBO's because I've been screwed over too many times just buying whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                I found there's a bug where ROCm-OpenCL can fail on some HW when installed along side clover and/rusticl (not sure which one). It seems like they don't like sharing memory together, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Using them separately seems fine to me. E.g. running "clinfo" can trigger a crash, as it's calling into multiple implementations at once.
                Interesting, such bug can happen with LLVM mismatch, both ROCm and Clover use LLVM, and in fact the radeonsi driver of Mesa (and then RustiCL too). The way Clover uses LLVM is closer to ROCm (in a way some application bugs may behave the same on Clover and ROCm), while the way LLVM is used is different with RustiCL. But since the all use LLVM, a library mismatch can break things. I usually try to avoid them to the maximum (and for example, I never install RustiCL system wide).

I'm not sure how you're running "PAL" on Linux for GCN 4+... maybe you're testing Windows? PAL is only supported for Polaris at this moment on Linux, and Orca is long dead at this point. Granted you might be able to find really old builds of PAL or Orca that support those.
                I purposely maintain scripts with documented and tested versions that work for this or that range of hardware: https://gitlab.com/illwieckz/i-love-compute

This is important because for example even latest Orca doesn't support GCN1, you need a specific Orca version to run GCN1 hardware. The, one has to know what is the last PAL version for hardware working with PAL, etc.

AFAIK, ROCm requires specific PCIe features to work well, but I've also seen some really crappy MOBO's out there. I can't say I've dealt with HW alignment issues, although all my systems only use Ryzen's if that makes a difference, and I very carefully choose my MOBO's because I've been screwed over too many times just buying whatever.
                Yeah, some where listed to require some “PCIe atomics“ to be working for example, something not all MOBO/CPU had at the time they required it.

The computer I've tested the MI25 is a Ryzen one, not the best Ryzen in town but a Ryzen one. This is a MOBO I only use to do testings and benchmarks anyway. I also own a ThreadRipper but I don't put random cards in it and don't toy with it at plugging/unplugging stuff for the sake of doing benchmarks: this is too precious to put it at risk (and also it is not available to be shut down).

Comment

Working...
                X