Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 5.5 In The Process Of Being Released

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 5.5 In The Process Of Being Released

AMD has begun publishing ROCm 5.5 source packages for the Radeon Open eCosystem components making up their GPU compute stack that is also being extended to cover Xilinx products and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 5 users must be excited

Comment

Yeah. Concentrate on getting it into every distro. It was great to see Rocm coming to windows (because many will continue to use that). It will be embarrassing, when after being Linux only for 7 years, it will be installable by 5-year olds on windows and still need a degree to install on most Linux distros.

Comment

Also « The 5 users must be excited » can be heard as « the 5 users having a compatible hardware must be excited ». There is something smaller than ROCm software compatibility: ROCM hardware compatibility.

Comment

Die cuda die!

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
            Yeah. Concentrate on getting it into every distro. It was great to see Rocm coming to windows (because many will continue to use that). It will be embarrassing, when after being Linux only for 7 years, it will be installable by 5-year olds on windows and still need a degree to install on most Linux distros.
            I'm working on it with Fedora and EPEL (RHEL). I'm building rocm-opencl 5.5 in Fedora 38 as I type.
            You can do "sudo dnf install rocm-opencl" with EPEL 8/9, and any active Fedora release. Granted, there's some kinks I'm working out, but it's getting there.
            I hope to get hip in Fedora and EPEL soon after ROCm 5.6 is released, then after that I will try to see if I can get pytorch or similar working.

Debian has a lot of working packages too, which is already trickling into Ubuntu universe. I try to touch base ever so often to share notes, but there's a lot more effort and people over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I'm working on it with Fedora and EPEL (RHEL). I'm building rocm-opencl 5.5 in Fedora 38 as I type.
              You can do "sudo dnf install rocm-opencl" with EPEL 8/9, and any active Fedora release. Granted, there's some kinks I'm working out, but it's getting there.
              I hope to get hip in Fedora and EPEL soon after ROCm 5.6 is released, then after that I will try to see if I can get pytorch or similar working.

Debian has a lot of working packages too, which is already trickling into Ubuntu universe. I try to touch base ever so often to share notes, but there's a lot more effort and people over there.
              Thanks for your work. I actually use Fedora. Last I tried, ROCm from the repo only provided some of the stuff needed and I couldn't get Blender working yet. Pytorch (and the other ML frameworks) would be amazing! I can't wait for the day, where I read something about some ML paper, download the code and it just works... (which obviously would mean that no CUDA specific code is used)

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
                Also « The 5 users must be excited » can be heard as « the 5 users having a compatible hardware must be excited ». There is something smaller than ROCm software compatibility: ROCM hardware compatibility.
                ROCm supports any AMD GPU since at least Vega, but not all parts of ROCm support all GPUs. OpenCL should work anywhere (people often forget that OpenCL is part of ROCm, and rocm-opencl is the only usable OpenCL driver for AMD GPUs), HIP works on anything except for some very low-end GPUs where it doesn't really make sense to begin with, MIOpen should work on all discrete RDNA and CDNA GPUs, rocWMMA works on all chips that have the necessary hardware (CDNA2, CDNA3, RDNA3).

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  the 5 users must be excited
                  yes i am finally

Comment

Originally posted by wsippel View Post
                    ROCm supports any AMD GPU since at least Vega, but not all parts of ROCm support all GPUs. OpenCL should work anywhere […]
                    Unfortunately not true, here is a test I did in October (I only tested OpenCL, I used LuxMark 3 LuxBall as a benchmark):

Even the Radeon Instinct MI25 didn't worked.

Some people says it can also depend on the motherboard and some UEFI option, not only the GPU. In the past ROCm even explicitely required some CPU/MOBO features not all computer had. You have to properly align the GPU, the Motherboard, the CPU and maybe even the UEFI configuration to get ROCm working.

ROCm is a very good example of software one can say “it works for me” but cannot assume it will works for others. I would be very happy if “ROCm supports any AMD GPU since at least Vega, OpenCL should work anywhere” was true. It is not, unfortunately.
                    Last edited by illwieckz; 02 May 2023, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X