No announcement yet.

Testing radeon KMS on Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished a quick test of the live cd on my Acer Aspire 5100 with a Radeon Mobility m200. It is getting twice the fps in glxgears that I get running Kubuntu JJ under xorg 7.4 radeon open source driver... Keep up the good work folks...

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
      We have set up a package repository at https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/radeon-kms which has kernel, libdrm, mesa and -ati packages for testing kernel mode-setting (and GEM/TTM/DRI2) on Ubuntu Karmic. The packages might install on Jaunty as well.

The above page also links to a Karmic-based live CD image (URL might change) which has all bits installed and simply boots up to the wonderful world of KMS...

Warning: This is experimental code so do not install it on your production system or anywhere where you have valuable data.
      This is truly outstanding work indeed. On my T60p compiz works blazingly fast in all its glory, videos run smooth and tear free, even youtube HD works, albeit a little jerky, but that's the same under Windows, so this is great success.

My only gripe:

(WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not used
      (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
      (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ClockGating" is not used

Any ideas why this doesn't work?

Ah, and Wolfenstein exits with a SIG11. Haven't managed to get it to work with any version of the radeon driver, only with fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
        I tried to boot the live CD from a USB memory stick (copied using the isotostick shell script) and it failed with some complaint about squashfs version mismatch. Anyone else using it?
        Sounds like you did not copy the live CD correctly and you have some conflicts with old live CD stuff on it.

1. Make sure you delete the old casper folder on the stick
        2. Use usb-creator instead of whatever scripts

Comment

Well the usb-creator is only a script with a little gui - installing syslinux on a fat stick is a trivial task, wrote a script that works with debian live and U. But i would prefer when U would be using a more recent isolinux version + isohybird to create hybrid images you can directly put onto usb device.

Comment

Originally posted by DF5JT View Post
            Ah, and Wolfenstein exits with a SIG11. Haven't managed to get it to work with any version of the radeon driver, only with fglrx.
            Not sure if this applies to you, but I used to get the same error with return to castle wolfenstein (RTCW) when the sound wasn't working. RTCW used OSS but my distro used alsa. It alway died with signal 11.

As root try this:

Code:
            echo 'wolfsp.x86 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
            The start the game (probably as user) with : wolfsp.x86

Comment

Originally posted by DF5JT View Post
              (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not used
              (WW) RADEON(0): Option "DynamicPM" is not used
              (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ClockGating" is not used

Any ideas why this doesn't work?
              This is because the kms-capable version of the -ati driver was forked off master a long time ago, before the power management was introduced, and it has not been synchronized since. Expect this to be fixed within the next weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well the usb-creator is only a script with a little gui - installing syslinux on a fat stick is a trivial task, wrote a script that works with debian live and U. But i would prefer when U would be using a more recent isolinux version + isohybird to create hybrid images you can directly put onto usb device.
                Second that; I specifically pointed the Ubuntu folks at isolinux+isohybrid several months ago. They decided not to investigate because it didn't fit their plans for USB. Annoying... (They were only interested in ISO + USB if it allowed saving state in the unused space on the USB flash, and they already had a different approach to get there. They don't seem to care about providing a single ISO that works identically on CD and USB.)

Comment

I think they wait till suse gives em an new patched syslinux. The gfxboot patched syslinux is not supported by upstream. And it was definitely no U invention.

Comment

Debian Unstable/Edgers

Any reports of success from Debian users? I ask this because I'm about at my wits end troubleshooting some annoying green screen corruption under KMS. A non-KMS kernel loads Xorg normally. The KMS kernel works cleanly when using modeset=0.

I have tried working around possibilities of versioning problems by using the Edgers KMS PPA as well as building from Jerome's git repository for mesa, xorg ati+radeon servers and libdrm as per http://jglisse.livejournal.com/1822.html. For the kernel, I have used both the patched KMS kernel on edgers and the 2.6.29 tree in Jerome's private repo.

When loading KMS I receive the version mismatch error reported by M?P?F here:
                    Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

dmesg:
                    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

X.org log:
                    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

lsmod:

For what it's worth, v0.2 of the Edgers live CD works brilliantly, so I know my RS4xx IGP is at least nominally compatible. I'm guessing this is a userspace issue, but I just don't know what else to attack. Suggestions are very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                      This is because the kms-capable version of the -ati driver was forked off master a long time ago, before the power management was introduced, and it has not been synchronized since. Expect this to be fixed within the next weeks.
                      Including which in the KMS-capable version power management is afaik supposed to be written in kernel. (which leads to better power management than before due to the centralization of modesetting and acceleration features)

Comment

Working...
                      X