Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Open Source 3D graphics on R6XX/R7XX cards (NO FGLRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    Well, in a perfect world, developers will only make improvements and only commit stuff with no regressions... Over the last months it has almost been like this in Xorg, so you're at the right place

As long as you are capable of identifying when things work or not, and know how to revert to an older set of packages, and can tolerate the odd hang or crash, there is not much problem in using xorg-edgers IMO.

The Lucid branch will start soon, as soon as there will be some new Lucid Xorg packages, next week probably. For now only the Lucid kernel has been updated for what the Xorg stack is concerned.
    Thank You for all the good work and effort You've made! I'll probably wait for the end of next week to embark on Lucid ship.

Comment

Add // after git in line 7a)

Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
      NEW!!!: THIS GETS KERNEL MODESETTING WORKING AS WELL!
      7a.) Now you must compile and install libdrm_radeon:

git clone git:anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm && cd drm && ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-radeon-experimental-api && sudo make install && cd ..
      Double "//" missing after "git:".

Comment

Ok, tried it (on Sapphire HD 4350), but it failed with

(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
        (II) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION : 0x000f0000 0x00ef00e0
        (II) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION : 0x0003ffff
        (EE) RADEON(0): Timeout trying to update memory controller settings !
        (EE) RADEON(0): You will probably crash now ...

Tried on 2.6.32-rc6 with everything in your how-to, except the "pull from drm-linus". I assumed (probably wrongly) that the stuff is in the latest rc.
        Last edited by aljaz; 08 November 2009, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aljaz View Post
          Ok, tried it (on Sapphire HD 4350), but it failed
          With 2.6.32-rc7 it works! I just refreshed all gits and now there's a picture on both screens, with acceleration on multiple VT's.

The only thing that's different it's that displays are now switched - what used to be DVI-0 is now DVI-1 and vice versa. I updated the randr startup script and now everything is back to normal.

The VT switching is indeed fast. Only when I switch back to graphic mode the repaint is somewhat visibly slow. But once the picture is on the screen the speed is back to normal.

Thanks a bunch. It feels great that my wife can have acceleration in her session, which until now was not possible (the scrolling in web browser was really a pain).

Comment

thanks for the tips and feedback. guide now fixed with the two slashes.

Comment

Getting Open Source 3D graphics on R6XX/R7XX cards NO FGLRX

Hi All,

Can i know has anybody tried any open source tool for migration from Documentum to Vignette database ?
              If yes, then post some ideas how we can achieve that migration.

Comment

Easier way for Ubuntu Users

Thank you so much for this guide! Compiz on my Radeon HD 2400XT without fglrx! How much of my life have I spent trying to get fglrx to work over the years only to have it break again a few months later...

Anyway, for ubuntu users (and maybe others if your dist rolls out a package for this) you can skip the kernel recompile if you use the drm-next kernel. Ubuntu can download it here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-next/current/

Download the linux-image for 32-bit or 64-bit, linux-headers***all, and linux-headers for 32-bit or 64-bit. Install those three packages. Then skip directly to step 5 in the guide (you don't need to build your own kernel).

Thanks again! Hooray!

Comment

Easier way for Ubuntu Users

Thank you so much for this thread! Compiz on my Radeon HD 2400 XT without fglrx! Hooray!

For ubuntu users, and possibly others depending on if your distribution rolls out a package for it, there is a way to avoid the kernel compilation (first 4 steps). To do this, install the drm-next kernel.

- Go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...-next/current/
                  - Download the linux-image for your arch (64bit or 32bit), linux-headers (all), and linux-headers for your arch.
                  - Install those three packages
                  - Make sure in /etc/grub/menu.lst that you are booting the drm-next kernel
                  - reboot

Now you can go straight to step 5 of this post (after the kernel compilation).

Thanks again!

Comment

Is there anybody running Debian testing/unstable who can no longer get this to work? For the longest time, this guide has always worked and ever since I installed a bunch of updates, it doesn't. I'm running 2.6.32 and I get the error: "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration." And then it says something else about no video modes being available, even though I have them set. I wish I could figure out what package broke all of this, but I have no idea which one it is. I know this is a pretty vague problem, but again, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or what I can do to resolve it.

Comment

Originally posted by h3xis View Post
                      Is there anybody running Debian testing/unstable who can no longer get this to work? For the longest time, this guide has always worked and ever since I installed a bunch of updates, it doesn't. I'm running 2.6.32 and I get the error: "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration." And then it says something else about no video modes being available, even though I have them set. I wish I could figure out what package broke all of this, but I have no idea which one it is. I know this is a pretty vague problem, but again, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or what I can do to resolve it.
                      What updates? If you compile mesa/drm, etc, then any update from debian repositories will rewrite your compilations. That will be until Debian unstable/testing update to the latest mesa and drm releases. If that is the case, you have to again install mesa and drm from git.

If that is not the case, try with the latest 2.6.33-rc2. Don't forget to put the interrupts firmware under /lib/firmware/radeon.

I recently did this. You have to set these 3 lines in kernel config to:
                      CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
                      CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin"
                      CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="firmware"

Build, run and report.

Comment

Working...
                      X