Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Open Source 3D graphics on R6XX/R7XX cards (NO FGLRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by tormod View Post
    I'll break the curse:
    For the OpenGL programs, set LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to the directory where you have the *_dri.so mesa drivers. This is actually documented on http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/TestingAndDebugging
    Neat, I remembered wrong then. Thanks for correcting.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 06-07-2009, 08:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tormod
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
    I didn't know the correct enviornmental varibles to set so if anybody could state some exact examples on what to do when not installed to /usr that would be great!

edit: ^I have been asking that question everywhere for 2 years. Nobody never ever answers it.
    I'll break the curse:
    For the OpenGL programs, set LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to the directory where you have the *_dri.so mesa drivers. This is actually documented on http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/TestingAndDebugging

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
    edit: ^I have been asking that question everywhere for 2 years. Nobody never ever answers it.
    You mean LD_LIBRARY_PATH? (At least iirc it should work)

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    Since that's the *only* way to install a kernel in gentoo whether or not you use an ebuild, what's the problem?
    I was talking about the "try following the exact guide" part. Obviously I don't have any problem with compiling my own kernels (in fact after that message I tried with 2.6.29 + custom x11-drm ebuild).

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    Originally posted by Fran View Post
    Nah, I don't like to pollute my system with custom compilations.
    Since that's the *only* way to install a kernel in gentoo whether or not you use an ebuild, what's the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Neo_The_User
    replied
    I didn't know the correct enviornmental varibles to set so if anybody could state some exact examples on what to do when not installed to /usr that would be great!

Last edited by Neo_The_User; 06-06-2009, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Put nomodeset in Grub kernel line on a KMS kernel or you'll get really weird behaviour.
    Yeah, I was disabling modesetting. Anyway, after my last message I tried with 2.6.29 and x11-drm from agd5f and got the same results as you: corruption with some demos and a X freeze after a while.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    (edit) I forgot: I'm using 2.6.30-rc8 patched with this. Maybe that's the cause.
    Put nomodeset in Grub kernel line on a KMS kernel or you'll get really weird behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Nah, I don't like to pollute my system with custom compilations.
    This is why --prefix exists. (Well, right. Apparently Neo told you to install under /usr. You should note that you don't have to as long as you pedantically install under the same prefix and make sure headers and libraries under the prefix are used in compiling and later on and tell OpenGL programs to load the right library with a variable. It's a bit more tricky but keeps your system clean)
    Last edited by nanonyme; 06-06-2009, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The current drm code seems to work best with 2.6.27 and 2.6.28 right now. I have seen problems reported with 2.6.29 and 64-bit. Not sure whether the devs are mostly working in 32- or 64-bit, will ask.
    2.6.30 has a sysfs redesign which requires rewrite on quite a few kernel drivers including the DRM driver. (This leads to compilation issues with agd5f's DRM and an 2.6.30 kernel. I tried writing compat stuff to get it to work but it turned out to be Bloody Tricky (tm). Probably a good point to see after the 2.6.30 release whether or not it's enough for it to work to just solve the sysfs issue. Porting by breaking compatibility is semi-trivial since DRM in Linus' kernel tree already *is* compliant with the changes)
    It seems to ~work on 2.6.29 (as in, it starts, rendering corruption, occasional hangups). I'm not a dev but I do all my testing with a 64-bit kernel.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 06-06-2009, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X