Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Open Source 3D graphics on R6XX/R7XX cards (NO FGLRX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neo_The_User
    replied
    Re-installing a distro because X is broken is never ever necessary nor recommended. Next time, post /var/log/Xorg.0.log, dmesg, and xorg.conf file to pastebin so I can help you (or anybody who knows the answer) for next time. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• zika
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
    Mesa is kernel independent so yes. 7.7-devel will work. I've used it on 2.6.24 and it worked just fine.
    I was asking because my upgrade to 7.7.0 several weeks ago messed up my box badly and it had to be reinstalled. It was OK and, once I tried upgrade to 7.7.0 out of sick curiosity it did it again. So I waited for several weeks and tried again. Now it seems to work, still I have to get it with 2.6.31-14-generic because it stalled this morning just after I wrote my message. So, there is a bit of doubt in my mind ...
    Update: It works now. It seems that external USB disk does not start in some predesignated time sometime ... That disk was not here when the crashes happened so that is not the culprit for those experiences.
    Last edited by zika; 25 October 2009, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neo_The_User
    replied
    Originally posted by zika View Post
    Does mesa 7.7.0 and other stuff from xorg-edgers work with 2.6.31-14.48-generic (lateset Karmic)?
    On ATI HD3650 I've upgraded my drivers from xorg-edgers and it works nicely (no compiz without radeon.modeset=1) but it seems to have problems with 2.6.31-14.48-generic. I will try it also with my 2.6.31-9-rt. It is not a big deal I just do not want to mess my box now because I have some stuff to do.
    Update: 2.6.31-9-rt works. Problem with 2.6.31-14.48-generic might have been with external USB disk at boot time, ... I will investigate more myself.
    Mesa is kernel independent so yes. 7.7-devel will work. I've used it on 2.6.24 and it worked just fine.

Leave a comment:

• zika
    replied
    Does mesa 7.7.0 and other stuff from xorg-edgers work with 2.6.31-14.48-generic (lateset Karmic)?
    On ATI HD3650 I've upgraded my drivers from xorg-edgers and it works nicely (no compiz without radeon.modeset=1) but it seems to have problems with 2.6.31-14.48-generic. I will try it also with my 2.6.31-9-rt. It is not a big deal I just do not want to mess my box now because I have some stuff to do.
    Update: 2.6.31-9-rt works. Problem with 2.6.31-14.48-generic might have been with external USB disk at boot time, ... I will investigate more myself.
    Last edited by zika; 25 October 2009, 07:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neo_The_User
    replied
    Originally posted by rmartinez View Post
    Thanks I didn't know that, now I did the cleaning and the compilation gave the same error:

Code:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c: In function ‘logger_read’:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:165: error: ‘TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:165: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:165: error: for each function it appears in.)
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:178: error: implicit declaration of function ‘signal_pending’
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:183: error: implicit declaration of function ‘schedule’
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c: In function ‘logger_aio_write’:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:325: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:333: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:334: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:337: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:360: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:363: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:370: error: increment of pointer to unknown structure
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:370: error: arithmetic on pointer to an incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:377: error: ‘TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[3]: *** [drivers/staging/android/logger.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [drivers/staging/android] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers/staging] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    What other information can I bring you to find what I'm doing wrong?
    ok do this:

1a.) cd into your kernel source directory (cd /usr/src/linux-2.6)

2a.) sudo mkdir backup && sudo cp .config backup/

3a.) sudo make distclean

4a.) sudo cp backup/.config .config

5a.) sudo make menuconfig

6a.) MAKE SURE that everything except radeon KMS is off in the kernel in staging drivers.

7a.) Save to different file or something like that. As soon as you open up make menuconfig, you should see something about saving it to a custom directory. (on windows right now sorry)

8a.) save to "/usr/src/linux-2.6/.config" without quotes (or where ever your kernel source is)

8a.) sudo make all
    Last edited by Neo_The_User; 24 October 2009, 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed step

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    Originally posted by Neo_The_User View Post
    be sure to always _always_ run "make clean" before re-compiling (without quotes)
    Thanks I didn't know that, now I did the cleaning and the compilation gave the same error:

Code:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c: In function ?logger_read?:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:165: error: ?TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE? undeclared (first use in this function)
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:165: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:178: error: implicit declaration of function ?signal_pending?
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:183: error: implicit declaration of function ?schedule?
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c: In function ?logger_aio_write?:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:325: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:333: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:334: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:337: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:360: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:363: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:370: error: increment of pointer to unknown structure
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:370: error: arithmetic on pointer to an incomplete type
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:377: error: ?TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE? undeclared (first use in this function)
    What other information can I bring you to find what I'm doing wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Neo_The_User
    replied
    Hi, I did that exactly, but it gave exactly the same error (at least I didn't had to wait for the error). Sorry, no idea what to do...
    be sure to always _always_ run "make clean" before re-compiling (without quotes)

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    Try going into Device Drivers > Staging Drivers and turn off everything except Radeon kernel mode setting. it should be somewhere near the bottom
    Hi, I did that exactly, but it gave exactly the same error (at least I didn't had to wait for the error). Sorry, no idea what to do...

Leave a comment:

• Neo_The_User
    replied
    OK, finally I got the courage and started with your guide, but I had an error while compiling the kernel. May be you can tell me what I did wrong.
    Here is exactly what I did:

Code:
    0a.) Fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10beta x64bits

0b.) Update everything possible.

1a.) Obtain the required development tools and programs to compile, install, and fetch the source code:

sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential dh-make debconf debhelper automake autoconf libstdc++6 xorg-dev gawk bison cdbs dkms && sudo apt-get build-dep libdrm mesa

# without "libstdc++5", it's not a package in Ubuntu 9.10

2a.) Obtain kernel source source code:

cd /usr/src && sudo git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git && cd linux-2.6 && sudo git config --global user.name "Neo"

# it was missing "//" between "git:" & "git.kernel..." in your guide
    # and also it was missing "config" between last "sudo git" & "--global user..." in your guide

2b.) Pull from drm-linus:

sudo git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git drm-linus

sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

sudo make menuconfig

Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Lowlevel video output switch controls
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP SUPPORT) ---> <*> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP SUPPORT) ---> <*> SiS chipset support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP SUPPORT) ---> <*> VIA chipset support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices --->[*] Enable firmware EDID
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices ---> < > ATI Radeon display support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices ---> < > ATI Rage128 display support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices ---> < > ATI Mach64 display support
    	Device Drivers --->[*] Staging drivers ---> [ ] Exclude Staging drivers from being built
    	Device Drivers --->[*] Staging drivers --->[*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default

# Save an Alternate Configuration File -> ".config", OK & exit

3a.) Compile the kernel:

sudo make all
    And I got the following Error:

Code:
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:165: error: ?TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE? undeclared (first use in this function)
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:178: error: implicit declaration of function ?signal_pending?
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:183: error: implicit declaration of function ?schedule?
    drivers/staging/android/logger.c:377: error: ?TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE? undeclared (first use in this function)
    Thanks for the guide and I hope I can finally have 3D... At least I'm learning great stuff!
    Try going into Device Drivers > Staging Drivers and turn off everything except Radeon kernel mode setting. it should be somewhere near the bottom

Leave a comment:

• rmartinez
    replied
    OK, finally I got the courage and started with your guide, but I had an error while compiling the kernel. May be you can tell me what I did wrong.
    Here is exactly what I did:

Code:
    0a.) Fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10beta x64bits

0b.) Update everything possible.

1a.) Obtain the required development tools and programs to compile, install, and fetch the source code:

sudo apt-get install git-core build-essential dh-make debconf debhelper automake autoconf libstdc++6 xorg-dev gawk bison cdbs dkms && sudo apt-get build-dep libdrm mesa

# without "libstdc++5", it's not a package in Ubuntu 9.10

2a.) Obtain kernel source source code:

cd /usr/src && sudo git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git && cd linux-2.6 && sudo git config --global user.name "Neo"

# it was missing "//" between "git:" & "git.kernel..." in your guide
    # and also it was missing "config" between last "sudo git" & "--global user..." in your guide

2b.) Pull from drm-linus:

sudo git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git drm-linus

sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

sudo make menuconfig

Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Lowlevel video output switch controls
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP SUPPORT) ---> <*> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP SUPPORT) ---> <*> SiS chipset support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP SUPPORT) ---> <*> VIA chipset support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices --->[*] Enable firmware EDID
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices ---> < > ATI Radeon display support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices ---> < > ATI Rage128 display support
    	Device Drivers ---> Graphics support ---> {*} Support for frame buffer devices ---> < > ATI Mach64 display support
    	Device Drivers --->[*] Staging drivers ---> [ ] Exclude Staging drivers from being built
    	Device Drivers --->[*] Staging drivers --->[*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default

# Save an Alternate Configuration File -> ".config", OK & exit

3a.) Compile the kernel:

sudo make all
    And I got the following Error:

Code:
    Thanks for the guide and I hope I can finally have 3D... At least I'm learning great stuff!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X