AMDGPU Linux Driver Gets Ready For eDP 1.5 Panels With 6.75 Gbps/Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver Gets Ready For eDP 1.5 Panels With 6.75 Gbps/Lane

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver Gets Ready For eDP 1.5 Panels With 6.75 Gbps/Lane

Sent out today were the latest AMDGPU Display Core "DC" patches having the latest work done by AMD internally on this display/monitor portion of their driver code. Notable with this round of 19 patches is preparation work for upcoming eDP 1.5 laptop displays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'd be interesting to use higher pixel clocks even when they are not strictly necessary. Faster scan is better for a lot of reasons, and my understanding is that the display controllers can sleep during the rest of the vblank.

Comment

Everything is done for amdgpu just not for my problems...

As I have to use the DVI port to connect to my TV (via DVI->HDMI cable) because there is no direct way to change the pixel format (Full...

It is 3 years old! Intel and NVIDIA support Audio via DVI connector. Not even DP to HDMI would work. Intel supports the RGB override via xrandr. And to make it even better:

The kernel option to override EDID via edid.bin file stopped working.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Everything is done for amdgpu just not for my problems...

As I have to use the DVI port to connect to my TV (via DVI->HDMI cable) because there is no direct way to change the pixel format (Full...

It is 3 years old! Intel and NVIDIA support Audio via DVI connector. Not even DP to HDMI would work. Intel supports the RGB override via xrandr. And to make it even better:

The kernel option to override EDID via edid.bin file stopped working.
        Perhaps you could refer to my updated post in the corresponding AVS Forum thread? My go-to trick to solve this issue on AMD GPUs is to output a slightly taller custom resolution e.g.1920x1081 which tends to result in the top row of pixels being cut off when the TV is set to "dot-by-dot", "just scan", or whatever the scaling mode is named that results in no up/downscaling nor overscan being applied.

And, to be clear (heh, pun), this is with HDMI but should in theory work with any video connector.
        Last edited by NM64; 24 March 2023, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Not even DP to HDMI would work.
          Can you please provide a link to such bug report?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Maybe the bug report is not fully clear. My goal is to have got a HDMI connection WITH sound in Full RGB mode. Depending on the connector this happens:

a) HDMI -> TV: Sound working but Y444 video -> changing colors
            b) DF -> HDMI -> TV: same as a)
            c: DVI -> HDMI -> No Sound but Full RGB

So the maximum I get is a half working connection to my TV. My old solution was to edit the EDID data of the TV and remove the Y444 support. The old kernel option was:

drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid.bin

The file has to be in the initrd. But in later kernels this did not work. Of of the last working kernels is 5.10.46, newer security updates broke this. So today I can use an old kernel or connect Audio via external device or buy a new TV.​

Comment

Maybe the bug report is not fully clear. My goal is to have got a HDMI connection WITH sound in Full RGB mode. Depending on the connector this happens:

a) HDMI -> TV: Sound working but Y444 video -> changing colors
              b) DF -> HDMI -> TV: same as a)
              c: DVI -> HDMI -> No Sound but Full RGB

So the maximum I get is a half working connection to my TV. My old solution was to edit the EDID data of the TV and remove the Y444 support. The old kernel option was:

drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid.bin

The file has to be in the initrd. But in later kernels this did not work. Of of the last working kernels is 5.10.46, newer security updates broke this. So today I can use an old kernel or connect Audio via external device or buy a new TV.​

cat correct-edid.bin > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/HDMI-A-2/edid_override

The debugging interfaces allow changing edid after boot yes this is also a new thing. Now please do check that you HDMI port is still HDMI-A-1 there are a few cards that after particular updates that primary hdmi port is no longer HDMI-A-1.

kano please don't be using a distribution that enables lockdown mode by default.

Comment

very promising, eDP is used for a lot now, so it getting fast will be very nice, still looking for an easy way to convert edp to dp and vice versa, I remeber there being a such thing on hackaday, but I couldnt find any additional info

Comment

Working...
                X