No announcement yet.

Linux 6.4 AMD Graphics Driver Picking Up New Power Features For The Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.4 AMD Graphics Driver Picking Up New Power Features For The Steam Deck

Phoronix: Linux 6.4 AMD Graphics Driver Picking Up New Power Features For The Steam Deck

A pull request of early AMDGPU kernel graphics driver changes was submitted for DRM-Next on Friday as some of the early feature work accumulating for the Linux 6.4 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are there still Decks with a "broken" BIOS? SteamOS Update it and if Valve want to reach users that are using something different than SteamOS they just should use fwupd and not try to add a workaround in the kernel.
    Last edited by Nille; 19 March 2023, 09:19 AM.

Comment

These power features will be exposed via sysfs while Steam OS will wrap around them intelligently and possibly some new UI settings knobs for those wanting more control over their Steam Deck's thermal/performance.
      That upsets me more than it should because it highlights that Valve is making an AMDGPU UI, but only for their specific APU running their specific OS, as well as that it's been a little over a year that SteamOS 3 was officially public and how there still isn't a first-party PC release. Since Valve makes nearly 1/3 off of every game sold I wish they'd

Comment

Well, is there something that is against use that for all other APUs or maybe GPUs as well? And yes, i would wish that they would make they config options more generic that all AMD APUs could make use of it. For Example for the Aya Neo or GPD AMD Systems.

Comment

Does this mean there will finally be a kernel update released for the Steam Deck? Mine has been stuck at v5.13 since I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
            Does this mean there will finally be a kernel update released for the Steam Deck? Mine has been stuck at v5.13 since I bought it.
            In the Beta branch of SteamOS there is a 6.X Kernel and with the next big Upgrade it should be coming since it fixes a huge performance issue with SMT. If you cant wait you can enable pacman and install a newer kernel without much difficulty. https://steamdeck-packages.steamos.c...ain/os/x86_64/ Linux 6.1.9 is the newest there. in the release channel the newest is 6.0.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

In the Beta branch of SteamOS there is a 6.X Kernel and with the next big Upgrade it should be coming since it fixes a huge performance issue with SMT. If you cant wait you can enable pacman and install a newer kernel without much difficulty. https://steamdeck-packages.steamos.c...ain/os/x86_64/ Linux 6.1.9 is the newest there. in the release channel the newest is 6.0.6.
              So it has to be done manually, or is there something wrong with my deck, since you say 6.0.6 is the current one in the release channel? I opted in on pre-beta updates in the settings and assumed that was enough.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with your deck the 6.0.6 kernel will not be installed automatically on the stable version. with the roll out of the new version, the never kernel is automatically applied. only if you want to test now a newer kernel you has to do it manual.
                Last edited by Nille; 20 March 2023, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X