Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bang for buck with open source drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noone said wine was a gaming solution. When i say works i mean has an enjoyable framerate with minimal problems. Im no hardcore gamer anymore so I dont feel its worth my time to restart every time I want to play a small game. With the binary driver i have the option to use wine, with the open source driver i dont. The binary driver has given 'ME" more freedom dispite being closed source.

One good thing about linux is choice. You want an open source driver to run fast 2D and to aid in kernel upgrades, thats cool. I want 3D, so i pick the closed source. Its fine to say wine hinders linux porting projects but to say its garbage in the middle of a debate about driver performance is in itself a fallacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      If he can get a x1950xt for less than $30, that would be a deal. Besides, who needs WINE for games? It never works. If you really want to play Windows games, make yourself an extra Windows partition.
      That's my sentiment exactly, though I have to admit there is a slight problem with this thinking. We still need to support gaming on linux. However the best way to do that is to buy games that will be counted as a linux sale. Playing a video game in wine is not going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        noone said wine was a gaming solution. When i say works i mean has an enjoyable framerate with minimal problems. Im no hardcore gamer anymore so I dont feel its worth my time to restart every time I want to play a small game. With the binary driver i have the option to use wine, with the open source driver i dont. The binary driver has given 'ME" more freedom dispite being closed source.

One good thing about linux is choice. You want an open source driver to run fast 2D and to aid in kernel upgrades, thats cool. I want 3D, so i pick the closed source. Its fine to say wine hinders linux porting projects but to say its garbage in the middle of a debate about driver performance is in itself a fallacy.
        I have to admit that I believe that wines utter dependence on the behavior exhibited by nvidia blob is indeed a design flaw. It's one thing to say that wine works well with nvidias driver, its something totally different and wrong to say that it is because of the driver..

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          That's my sentiment exactly, though I have to admit there is a slight problem with this thinking. We still need to support gaming on linux. However the best way to do that is to buy games that will be counted as a linux sale. Playing a video game in wine is not going to do that.

I don't use WINE because of that. Don't even bother with new Windows titles. The bulk of my gaming is done with cross-platform games. However, a person is free to do whatever he wants with his PC (that's still true, right?), so if he wants to play Windows games then he may as well get the most out of his hardware and enjoy said game, and for that just getting Windows is the best solution.
          Last edited by Melcar; 02 June 2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

We still need to support gaming on linux. However the best way to do that is to buy games that will be counted as a linux sale. Playing a video game in wine is not going to do that.
            absolutely correct.

Comment

Check this out guys

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 100245HDMI Video Card

EDIT, click on the third image of the card

Comment

click on the third image of the card
                lol very nice. major props for discovering this delicious easter egg.

Comment

edited. Sorry this post was not necessary

Comment

Originally posted by frische View Post
                    1. somehow the nvidia blob works with every new solaris kernel
                    2. and they even ship it on the livecd
                    3. ...damn
                    Afaik due to license differences and the fact that Solaris kernel has a stable API for drivers. Solaris license has no issues whatsoever with closed drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Afaik due to license differences and the fact that Solaris kernel has a stable API for drivers. Solaris license has no issues whatsoever with closed drivers.
                      And, because Linux doesn't have (?) stable API nvidia drivers don't work with every release? Stable, when comes to Solaris can also mean old, crappy etc. in this case. There were Linux distros which provided nvidia binary blobs on live cd, but I don't know if this was license violation.
                      Last edited by kraftman; 01 July 2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X