Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bang for buck with open source drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I respect your arguments.

But please... You wouldn't be using linux as you did today if every single driver where closed. Because that would make linux windows. Yup we might have a better kernel than windows, but all the properitary stuff we put on that kernel, would make it as unstable as windows.

The fast moving linux model just isn't ideal for proprietary blobs.

But lets stop ruining this thread. I just think amd's open source linux model of support is better than nvidia's.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Personally I think that there should be some kind of flag that identifies closed source code and then makes it impossible for it to execute.
      There already is. Both the nvidia and fglrx blobs go to great lengths to circumvent it. One (or more) of the kernel devs threatened legal action over them doing it, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
        The fast moving linux model just isn't ideal for proprietary blobs.
        I second that. All political reasons aside, practical reasons make open source drivers a more suitable option for linux.

Comment

for open source drivers x1950 is a good card.

maybe its just me, who has never had a problem with a broken blob. Please explain to me how often the Nvidia driver breaks, especially when its updated as often as it is.

Comment

It is so good that you only can use oss driver and fgrlx up to 9-3. If you buy that you must be extra stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              It is so good that you only can use oss driver and fgrlx up to 9-3. If you buy that you must be extra stupid.
              Wow, that's rude. You really are quite an ass, sometimes.

If you can find an x1950 at a reasonable price, it is a good purchase if you want open source drivers, which is exactly what the original poster wanted.

If you have such problems with the open source drivers, feel free to not use them, but don't be such a jerk and call other people stupid because they use them.

Adam

Comment

If you want to play a more demanding game you currently NEED fglrx. If you want to use a newer distro with Xserver 1.6 you already lost with your purchase. If you want to play only games which are absolutely not demanding and you do not wan to use wine, a much cheaper card would be enough.

Comment

If he can get a x1950xt for less than $30, that would be a deal. Besides, who needs WINE for games? It never works. If you really want to play Windows games, make yourself an extra Windows partition.
                  Last edited by Melcar; 02 June 2009, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    If he can get a x1950xt for less than $30, that would be a deal. Besides, who needs WINE for games? It never works. If you really want to play Windows games, make yourself an extra Windows partition.
                    wine works for me out of the box when it comes to most of my games. eg. stronghold crusader or GTA:SA. Infact I have a very good success rate with wine for titles over 2 years old.

That said. I use the dreaded proprietary nvidia driver.

Comment

"It works for me" fallacy. Fact is that it doesn't work for many other titles. Most of the time you have to get creative and do hacks to WINE for a game to even install or run, and the ones that do run do so at reduced performance/quality. Yeah, my favorite games work fine, but many others on my library do not; and it's not a driver issue because the games don't even install properly to play.
                      WINE as a gaming solution is far from optimal. Some games work, and if yours happens to be one of them then fine. But for high end gaming and running the latest AAA Windows titles, just bite the bullet and set up a small Windows partition.

Comment

Working...
                      X