Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bang for buck with open source drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    No, rather the API changes rapidly so nVidia and ATi have to port their drivers to each and every individual Linux kernel version whereas with Solaris kernel I've gotten the impression the drivers just work with new kernel versions. I've been told this is a good thing because it discourages writing closed source kernel modules.
    The license/freeness thing was related more to the the drivers not getting shipped with the LiveCD's. It might be though that I'm wrong on this second part and it's a deliberate choice that LiveCD's don't usually come with proprietary drivers.
    I actually develop a LiveCD for my own personal use. I keep it updated on a regular basis, and with all of the tools and stuff I need to do my job. Even though I am the only person who will ever use this livecd I chose not to use the proprietary drivers simply because the open drivers are far more stable. See theres that word stable. Stable in this case actually means something valuable. Even though the code is highly experimental with a with a bunch of brand new activity in every part of the stack.... Even through all of this it is still more stable than the proprietary drivers. That says something important that we all need to pay attention to.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    And, because Linux doesn't have (?) stable API nvidia drivers don't work with every license? Stable, when comes to Solaris can also mean old, crappy etc. in this case. There were Linux distros which provided nvidia binary blobs on live cd, but I don't know if this was license violation.
    The problem with so called "stable" APIs is that they may have unresolved bugs and design flaws go unfixed for years in the name of compatibility. I dont know of many APIs that are stable especially ones that have gone unchanged for years on end. I dont think "stable" is quite the proper term to use... Stable appears to be an antonym in this case...

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    And, because Linux doesn't have (?) stable API nvidia drivers don't work with every license? Stable, when comes to Solaris can also mean old, crappy etc. in this case. There were Linux distros which provided nvidia binary blobs on live cd, but I don't know if this was license violation.
    No, rather the API changes rapidly so nVidia and ATi have to port their drivers to each and every individual Linux kernel version whereas with Solaris kernel I've gotten the impression the drivers just work with new kernel versions. I've been told this is a good thing because it discourages writing closed source kernel modules.
    The license/freeness thing was related more to the the drivers not getting shipped with the LiveCD's. It might be though that I'm wrong on this second part and it's a deliberate choice that LiveCD's don't usually come with proprietary drivers.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Afaik due to license differences and the fact that Solaris kernel has a stable API for drivers. Solaris license has no issues whatsoever with closed drivers.
    And, because Linux doesn't have (?) stable API nvidia drivers don't work with every release? Stable, when comes to Solaris can also mean old, crappy etc. in this case. There were Linux distros which provided nvidia binary blobs on live cd, but I don't know if this was license violation.
    Last edited by kraftman; 07-01-2009, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by frische View Post
    1. somehow the nvidia blob works with every new solaris kernel
    2. and they even ship it on the livecd
    3. ...damn
    Afaik due to license differences and the fact that Solaris kernel has a stable API for drivers. Solaris license has no issues whatsoever with closed drivers.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    edited. Sorry this post was not necessary

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    click on the third image of the card
    lol very nice. major props for discovering this delicious easter egg.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Check this out guys

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 100245HDMI Video Card

EDIT, click on the third image of the card

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    We still need to support gaming on linux. However the best way to do that is to buy games that will be counted as a linux sale. Playing a video game in wine is not going to do that.
    absolutely correct.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    That's my sentiment exactly, though I have to admit there is a slight problem with this thinking. We still need to support gaming on linux. However the best way to do that is to buy games that will be counted as a linux sale. Playing a video game in wine is not going to do that.

I don't use WINE because of that. Don't even bother with new Windows titles. The bulk of my gaming is done with cross-platform games. However, a person is free to do whatever he wants with his PC (that's still true, right?), so if he wants to play Windows games then he may as well get the most out of his hardware and enjoy said game, and for that just getting Windows is the best solution.
    Last edited by Melcar; 06-02-2009, 09:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X