Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VK_MESA_video_decode_av1: Early Vulkan AV1 Decoding For Open-Source Radeon Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VK_MESA_video_decode_av1: Early Vulkan AV1 Decoding For Open-Source Radeon Driver

Phoronix: VK_MESA_video_decode_av1: Early Vulkan AV1 Decoding For Open-Source Radeon Driver

While the Vulkan Video extensions were introduced provisionally nearly two years ago and Vulkan Video 1.0 firmed up in December, sadly to date they have been focused on H.264 and H.265 video acceleration. VP9 and AV1 extensions for Vulkan Video are expected in 2023, but in advance of the cross-vendor extensions, VK_MESA_video_decode_av1 has been devised as an extension enabling RADV accelerated video decode with AMD Radeon GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On one end it's good to get fundamental experience for this type/AV1 decode implementation, on the other end it feels like an wasted effort if the implementation has to be mostly rewritten. Either way, both sides has (more) pros and cons than this. If I can get it to work now, it's only good for me as a user.

Good work to all those involved otherwise !

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      On one end it's good to get fundamental experience for this type/AV1 decode implementation, on the other end it feels like an wasted effort if the implementation has to be mostly rewritten. Either way, both sides has (more) pros and cons than this. If I can get it to work now, it's only good for me as a user.

Good work to all those involved otherwise !
      The implementation will be 99% the same. Only the API would change, and there's not many ways to skin said cat. The hard part was making it work, so making changes to it is a lot easier.

Comment

it will be interesting to see how vulkan video gets handled compared to vaapi. ffmpeg involvement is nice, we might see MPV handle this soon, it would be great if libplacebo can use this in order to bypass the lack of drm format modifier support on polaris for zero copy hw acceleration, but I doubt we will be so lucky.

​

Comment

Nice. I want to see Firefox using Vulkan video instead of VAAPI.
          Last edited by shmerl; 17 January 2023, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Very excited to see this! The current situation with VA-API, V4L2 and the prop. Nvidia stuff makes it incredibly difficult for apps like Firefox to support hardware video decoding for most users.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Nice. I want to see Firefox using Vulkan video instead of VAAPI.
              What makes it more interesting as a user?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

What makes it more interesting as a user?
                Less need for radeonsi path more radv one.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Less need for radeonsi path more radv one.
                  And ACO, a fair point thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

And ACO, a fair point thank you!
                    I'm not sure ACO is involved. Does it rely on shaders? I thought video might be a different case from graphics.

Plus I think in some longer term, ACO will be hooked up for radeonsi too.

But in general - yeah. If llvm can be avoided, it's better for more timely bug fixes potentially.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 19 January 2023, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X