No announcement yet.

Linux 6.3 Will Better Handle Missing AMD Radeon Firmware / Unsupported Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 Will Better Handle Missing AMD Radeon Firmware / Unsupported Hardware

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 Will Better Handle Missing AMD Radeon Firmware / Unsupported Hardware

Another batch of AMDGPU/AMDKFD feature code was submitted this week to DRM-Next as additional AMD Radeon kernel graphics driver changes slated for Linux 6.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kU86Aqk.png

Is this firmware really needed? I just have in my amdgpu folder the firmware with the codename of my gpu and everything seems to be fine.

Comment

It would be nice if the kernel also printed the names of the missing firmware files it requires.
      Quite a game currently when trying to find the smallest set of them that includes all the necessary ones for a specific GPU. Will only get harded with IP-based versioning. 😔

Comment

Originally posted by tambre View Post
        It would be nice if the kernel also printed the names of the missing firmware files it requires.
        Quite a game currently when trying to find the smallest set of them that includes all the necessary ones for a specific GPU. Will only get harded with IP-based versioning. 😔
        It will with this patch series.

Is this firmware really needed?
        depends on the circumstances.
        If a GPU in your system has those IP blocks yes.

Comment

Originally posted by tambre View Post
          The driver has always printed the name of the firmware that was missing even prior to these changes.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The driver has always printed the name of the firmware that was missing even prior to these changes.
            Yeah it was just a lot harder to get to unless you had SSH setup since the screen froze.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

But wasn't it like it only printed the first failed firmware and it was possible that other ones were missed until you provided that first failed?
              At least I do recall having to do 2-3 cycles in the past.
              Nowadays, it's of course a little bit easier because of the naming scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                Is this firmware really needed? I just have in my amdgpu folder the firmware with the codename of my gpu and everything seems to be fine.
                They've moving from having a monolithic firmware for each GPU to having a file for each of the hardware blocks. I think those will be needed for the latest (7000 series) GPUs while earlier models still use the single-firmware-per-GPU files.

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post
                  They've moving from having a monolithic firmware for each GPU to having a file for each of the hardware blocks. I think those will be needed for the latest (7000 series) GPUs while earlier models still use the single-firmware-per-GPU files.
                  Thanks for the answer, that's a better approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                    But wasn't it like it only printed the first failed firmware and it was possible that other ones were missed until you provided that first failed?
                    At least I do recall having to do 2-3 cycles in the past.
                    Nowadays, it's of course a little bit easier because of the naming scheme.
                    That's a pretty good idea. I've just submitted a change for review to do just that.

Comment

Working...
                    X