Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2022.Q4.4 Released With RX 7900 Series Support

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2022.Q4.4 Released With RX 7900 Series Support

AMD today published the AMDVLK 2022.Q4.4 open-source Vulkan driver that provides Navi 31 GPU support for this week's launch of the Radeon RX 7900 XT / RX 7900 XTX graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only reason I have not started people to tell to not have any kind of loyalty to AMD is - I don't know what 4090 is like on Linux.
    AMD, I have personally bought your inferior CPUS before. I never had intel in my work horse personal machine. I am tired of supporting billion dollar company.
    Way I see it, if 15 games on average don't favor enough 7900 XTX, you may as well get get, god i hate myself for saying it 4080, or dish out more and get 4090 or yet, GET OLDER GENERATION cards. I assume that Nvidia's 4090 has good drivers for Linux, as historically they always had.
    The Radeon RX 7900 XTX is a pretty good GPU, at least relative to its GeForce competitor, but whether or not it's worth $1,000 will depend on...

Now I have heard opinion here:
    What I expected: 1. 7900xtx to be a competitor for overpriced 4090. At least in rasterization, performance wise. 2. Push other GPU prices down. Especially considering that chiplet design obliterated CPU market. 3. 7900xtx be below 1000$. While on paper it is, in practice it won't be. 4. 7900 XT to be a good competitor to 7900

That drivers for 7900xt* will become better, but that is yet to be seen.

And yes, using closed source drivers sucks. But in the same key, Nvidia works on open source drivers for its GPU on Linux as well. Which will be faster? OSS drivers from Nvidia or AMD's improved existing AMDGPU driver? Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

And yes, using closed source drivers sucks. But in the same key, Nvidia works on open source drivers for its GPU on Linux as well. Which will be faster? OSS drivers from Nvidia or AMD's improved existing AMDGPU driver? Time will tell.
      Nvidia will win ofc, they always did but I hope Valve continues working in amd driver for the future

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        The only reason I have not started people to tell to not have any kind of loyalty to AMD is - I don't know what 4090 is like on Linux.
        AMD, I have personally bought your inferior CPUS before. I never had intel in my work horse personal machine. I am tired of supporting billion dollar company.
        Way I see it, if 15 games on average don't favor enough 7900 XTX, you may as well get get, god i hate myself for saying it 4080, or dish out more and get 4090 or yet, GET OLDER GENERATION cards. I assume that Nvidia's 4090 has good drivers for Linux, as historically they always had.
        The Radeon RX 7900 XTX is a pretty good GPU, at least relative to its GeForce competitor, but whether or not it's worth $1,000 will depend on...

Now I have heard opinion here:
        What I expected: 1. 7900xtx to be a competitor for overpriced 4090. At least in rasterization, performance wise. 2. Push other GPU prices down. Especially considering that chiplet design obliterated CPU market. 3. 7900xtx be below 1000$. While on paper it is, in practice it won't be. 4. 7900 XT to be a good competitor to 7900

That drivers for 7900xt* will become better, but that is yet to be seen.

A few things:
        1. AMD is also a billion dollar company. In fact, their net worth is over $100 billion. They're actually not far behind Intel.
        2. AMD's CPUs aren't really inferior anymore.
        3. If you haven't paid close attention, AMD's open-source drivers mature rather gracefully. There are many instances where they perform a lot better than Windows. But if you're after RT performance, seems you're going to have to stick with Nvidia.
        4. Nvidia's drivers were almost always sub-par. They had decent feature parity and benchmarked well, but they were known for frame pacing issues and have been a thorn in the side for kernel and Wayland devs.
        5. Seeing as your priority appears to be gaming and not compute or OptiX workloads, I'd argue AMD offers better performance and experience overall, especially after a few months of driver maturity.
        6. Seems you've made up your mind about what you'd prefer, so just go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          A few things:
          1. AMD is also a billion dollar company. In fact, their net worth is over $100 billion. They're actually not far behind Intel.
          5. Seeing as your priority appears to be gaming and not compute or OptiX workloads, I'd argue AMD offers better performance and experience overall, especially after a few months of driver maturity.
          6. Seems you've made up your mind about what you'd prefer, so just go for it.
          1. Yes, exactly my point. I was one of those who did buy AMD cpu's when its business was about to go belly up, to my own determent, and it was conscious decision. I wanted to support underdog.
          5. Yes, I have 5700XT now, it was leap of faith when I got it. I have had NVIDIA for many years, before AMD even bought ATI. It was a little painful to get 5700XT, but it has been a good purchase. I remember how i had to manually download firmware into kernel folders. It was annoying as FU**, but hey, for Gentoo guy, while annoying, its manageable task.
          6. No I have not. I just am sick and tired of seing AMD as lord and saviour to gamers, where their GPU is 1000$. And its not very good even comparing to 4080. It is not a clear winner in rasterization, and it is lacking features. And once 4080 will be made cheaper by 100$(which i think is very possible), it will be same price as 4080. I am SERIOUSLY considering anything relatively good from older generations, as I really want 4k screen. I am thinking to get second hand gpu that is faster than 5700XT, and i only looked at AMD GPUS before, purely because of AMDGPU. But now I may also consider going back into binary world of Nvidia.

It feels like we, gamers, were first spit into faces by Nvidia, now AMD pulls same trick. The only difference is that, AMD does it and points at Nvidia, saying, hey - they did it first! Which I don't give two sh**s about.

And even second hand market is not going to fall down much, simply because price segments are not filled in and dont compete with new products on price. New generation of GPUs doesn't seem to offect existing offerings. I looked at price of 6900xt and 6950 xt, in last half month they went up in price in EU.

FU** this shit. Fu** Nvidia image.png
          And f*** AMD.

Comment

What I am trying to say, it's painful realization, that way AMD operates, I may forego idea of having Open Source drivers for GPU I am going to have next and I seek to see if others agree or not. I don't own AMD nothing. It feels that OSS driver is a carrot on a stick for me.

Comment

Of course nobody owes AMD to buy their products, choose them if they provide what you're looking for.
              The way I see it these are still very fast GPUs and I'm glad this performance level is available with open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by hartree View Post
                Of course nobody owes AMD to buy their products, choose them if they provide what you're looking for.
                The way I see it these are still very fast GPUs and I'm glad this performance level is available with open drivers.
                I cant help but laugh, FUCK AMD. Difference between 4080 and 7900xtx is FIFTY BUCKS for me here in EU.

FIFTY FUCKING BUCKS.

People can preach about open source driver, but god damn, good luck with ray tracing.

You know that GPU manufactures did fuck all, when current products don't compete with previous models.
                So yeah, FUCK NVIDIA and FUCK AMD.
                I am not fucking buying modern offerings. Period. I have money. BUT FUCK THEM.

Comment

Working...
                X