AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    KMS would probably require open-sourcing a part of fglrx as well as splitting that part of it and putting it into the kernel. I don't think this is ever gonna happen.
    I don't see how this is an obstacle - The mode setting part is something which _really_ shouldn't contain any IP affected code, esp. since the mode setting registers have been documented publicly anyways (well, on the other hand I don't know in what way the DRM code is split all over the driver)

Comment

Originally posted by gzunk View Post
      As for the RadonHD problems, that's not really appropriate for this thread (I was venting), but suffice to say that 2D acceleration is only enabled on RV770 in version 1.2.5, but on Jaunty the standard version is 1.2.4. I believe 1.2.5 requires kernel 2.6.30, and Jaunty is on 2.6.28.

I try and stick to the defaults as far as possible since that normally makes things more stable.
      My question was more related to the open source drivers; the default driver on Jaunty is radeon, not radeonhd, and the version of radeon shipped with Jaunty should have out-of-box support including 2D acceleration. Jaunty also contains kernel driver (drm) code to support 2D acceleration.

There are sites such as www.pastebin.com which allow you to paste a big hunk of text then give you a URL you can post. Feel free to start another thread on the open source side if you want.
      Last edited by bridgman; 23 May 2009, 10:33 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Does AMD have some secret vendetta with S2Games? With every release of fglrx Savage2 become more and more unplayable. I'm happy when I can actually join a game after the 10th try, because the game just crashes when it should start loading stuff. It's really getting awful.
        Last edited by ningo; 23 May 2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

No, quite the opposite AFAIK.

Can you please check bugzilla ticket 1519, see if the workaround in comment #1 helps for now, and update the ticket with your system and driver info ?

Here's a link to the existing ticket : http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1519
          Last edited by bridgman; 23 May 2009, 11:43 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Can you please check bugzilla ticket 1519, see if the workaround in comment #1 helps for now, and update the ticket with your system and driver info ?

Here's a link to the existing ticket : http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1519
            No, it doesn't. What I'm experiencing here was added with 9.5, 9.4 works fine. There was a fix for the 9.4 issue in S2 2.0.1 as well.
            Just to rephrase that: 9.5 added *additional* crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

No it doesn't. The crashes were added in 9.5 and there was a fix for the 9.4 issue in S2 2.0.1. Just to rephrase that: 9.5 introduced additional crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                I don't see how this is an obstacle - The mode setting part is something which _really_ shouldn't contain any IP affected code, esp. since the mode setting registers have been documented publicly anyways (well, on the other hand I don't know in what way the DRM code is split all over the driver)
                It will also affect the memory manager. AMD/ATI has already stated that they don't want to use the open source stack, but to use their own driver with memory manager.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                  Modesetting includes output control. Output control includes HDCP, Macrovision, and a bunch of other things that prefer the dark.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ningo View Post
                    Does AMD have some secret vendetta with S2Games? With every release of fglrx Savage2 become more and more unplayable. I'm happy when I can actually join a game after the 10th try, because the game just crashes when it should start loading stuff. It's really getting awful.
                    Heyo Ningo,

Savage 2 has been playing ok for me with 9.5, no additional crashes or anything after the 9.4 fiasco.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Modesetting includes output control. Output control includes HDCP, Macrovision, and a bunch of other things that prefer the dark.
                      Okay, I stand corrected then, thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                      X