No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why, but -vo gl2:yuv=3 or just gl2 or gl results in horrible flicker for me, with compositing. It supposedly works for other people? How can this be?

Comment

Originally posted by peppo View Post
      I don't know why, but -vo gl2:yuv=3 or just gl2 or gl results in horrible flicker for me, with compositing. It supposedly works for other people? How can this be?
      Does it work fluent without compositing ?

Comment

There's no 2.6.29/30 support.
        Great. F-ck it.
        I mean, I was waiting for the stupid thing long enough to come out to finally support my 2.6.29 bunch of Kernels but no. So still no 3d accelleration for the HD3300 and HD3780. Or the even newer ones.
        Thing is that the mainboard's network chip would only work correctly with a .29 Kernel. Stupahd!
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

If you can live with errors in dmesg there is a hotfix for 2.6.29.

Comment

yeah, and despite the errors in dmesg it is working very well.

Comment

Only in fullscreen. KDE 4 by default uses direct rendering when switching to fullscreen. Compiz needs to be set-up for this to happen. But in a window, there's no way to get good video with compositing.

Comment

If it doesn't already you need to get

glxinfo | grep direct

to say yes.

I haven't got a clue how you would do that on your setup. In the past compiz + fglrx would need indirect rendering (still hw accelerated) to work, but with recent fglrx I needed direct for opengl + compiz fusion to work with -vo gl. In my case all I needed to do was comment out

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1

that I had previously needed in .xinitrc to get compiz to work at all.

Comment

The sad thing is that AMD/ATI is already posting driver packages for Windows 7, which is still in RC status.

I have W7 running on a test machine (which is also sad but that's a different issue) and the package downloaded with one mouse click, Installed with three or four mouse clicks and didn't even ask me to reboot the system when it was finished installing itself.

It just works.

And I look at the five pages of comments that precede this one, all about the Linux driver, and it's just....well, you know.

Comment

sad? why? Windows users make up 90+ of amd/ati costumers. So it is the right choice to support them as good as possible. Also Windows is a lot easier to support. There is only ONE Windows 7rc, One Vista, One Xp. Not 100+ different distributions all with different kernels, Xorg, Xfree, libc, mesa, compiler...

Comment

Howdy,

Thanks for the responses. Where do I get the 9.5 driver? When I go to ati.amd.com and when I poke the "graphic drivers" link, I get a 3 element form. I select "linux" then "firegl" and then "firegl 5200" and get this file from the resulting "download". firepro_8.583_linux_77161.zip.

I install this and reboot and now get the "unsupported hardware" watermark on the screen.

George...

Comment

Working...
                      X