AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all,

First sorry for my bad english (I'm French).

Since Ubuntu Jaunty, I have some problems with dual-head on my ATI HD4850.
    The problem appears to come from RandR 1.2. Aticonfig can't use --dtop or desktopsetup when randR 1.2 is enabled.

Catalyst 9.5 doesn't resolve this issue.

I disabled RandR (with this line : EnableRandR12=SFALSE in the /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file, under the right section).

But --dtop options are no more available.

I finally successfully set the dual-head via : aticonfig --xinerama=on

It works, but xinerama is not perfect (the mouse is drawed on each screen.

Is there a good way to use --dtop options with catalyst 9.5? A way to use amdcccle to set screen 2 at right of screen 1, and screen 1 at left of the screen 2 as it was easy to do with Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10?

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

• really nice driver
      1080p video plays without noticeable cpu load when using opengl as output

Comment

• Originally posted by spoilerhead View Post
        really nice driver
        1080p video plays without noticeable cpu load when using opengl as output
        I hope you're aware that this driver does not actually accelerate video in any way and all is done by the CPU...

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I hope you're aware that this driver does not actually accelerate video in any way and all is done by the CPU...
          well, XV = 40% load for me, openGL ~20
          had higher loads under both with older versions

i don't care if it doesn't accelerate decoding, but it certainly accelerates drawing

Comment

• With the same video? You can have one 1080p video use 10% CPU and another one use 90%.

Comment

• Ok guys, I'll answer my own question from above. This driver does not solve the hard crash on my onboard hd 3200, kubuntu 9.04 (it was working in 8.10).

I wasted too much time, posted a bug in launchpad, looked for an ATI official bug-tracker, and there is no such a thing (you can post in an an official forums where people try to help each other, there are a few bug reports and even the maintainer of the forum switched to NVIDIA out of frustration.

I praise the efforts from ATI to help open-source drivers be developed, and I built a system around AMD/ATI as a way to say thanks, but this is too much. I'll buy a discrete NVIDIA card on sale whenever I see a good deal and be done with it.

Comment

• With me, using Xv on a nice 1080 HD vid. gives out like 10-30% load on all cores (total doesn't exceed 40%). With OpenGL it's pretty much the same (a little higher). However, Xv is rather unusable under Compiz (CPU usage spikes to 80-100% and video becomes a slideshow). OpenGL does not have this problem, but mplayer sometimes seg. faults.
                Last edited by Melcar; 25 May 2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Well, it *has* had experimental XvMC since 8.10. It was said that it didn't work out of the box, dunno how it works now. Open drivers will be getting XvMC with Gallium. I suspect you probably can forget XvBA for good, at best we'd probably get some VDPAU implementation on open drivers on the ATi chipset.

Comment

• Problem with XvMC: it does not deal with anything else than MPEG2. 720p/1080p video is MPEG4/AVC :P In today's PCs, acceleration for MPEG2 (DVDs) is a bit useless.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathojojo View Post
                      Hello all,

First sorry for my bad english (I'm French).

Since Ubuntu Jaunty, I have some problems with dual-head on my ATI HD4850.
                      The problem appears to come from RandR 1.2. Aticonfig can't use --dtop or desktopsetup when randR 1.2 is enabled.

Catalyst 9.5 doesn't resolve this issue.

I disabled RandR (with this line : EnableRandR12=SFALSE in the /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file, under the right section).

But --dtop options are no more available.

I finally successfully set the dual-head via : aticonfig --xinerama=on

It works, but xinerama is not perfect (the mouse is drawed on each screen.

Is there a good way to use --dtop options with catalyst 9.5? A way to use amdcccle to set screen 2 at right of screen 1, and screen 1 at left of the screen 2 as it was easy to do with Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10?

Thank you very much for your help.
                      Well, I'm really the only one here, who hopes to use his ATI hardware to get a dual-head display??? Is it a crazy idea??

Again.. If you can, Thx for your help

Comment

Working...
                      X