Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2022.Q4.1 Brings More Vulkan Performance Tuning

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2022.Q4.1 Brings More Vulkan Performance Tuning

AMD today published their latest open-source Radeon Vulkan Linux driver update, AMDVLK 2022.Q4.1, as their first source update in three weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no VK_EXT_mutable_descriptor_type or graphics pipeline library support, disappointing.

Comment

Since it was quite clear for some time now that amdvlk-open main user was Stadia (which will soon shutdown), I wonder who else uses it.

Btw, on AMD's Windows driver front, apart from the new OpenGL driver, there were some other major changes. There are rumors that AMD phased out their proprietary shader compiler with these new drivers, but so far nobody verified it yet.
      Last edited by user1; 21 October 2022, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Just throw it away and contribute to mesa like a good developer... My next gpu is definitely gonna be Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
          Just throw it away and contribute to mesa like a good developer... My next gpu is definitely gonna be Intel.
          Hell yeah, vote with your wallet. Show them that Intel of the big three can earn some money too...

Comment

amdvlk is amd's open source dump of the open source components of their proprietary windows vulkan driver. but they do contribute to mesa.

Comment

how does it differ from the one thats available out-of-the-box in most recent distros? what are the use scenario for that one, what does and doesn't work when compared to the open source one?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                how does it differ from the one thats available out-of-the-box in most recent distros? what are the use scenario for that one, what does and doesn't work when compared to the open source one?
                phoronix did a 3-way benchmark of AMDVLK, PRO, and RADV about 1.5 years ago. Performance was within a few percent across the board, but I suspect that things are very different now as there's been improvements to RADV promising around 60% performance improvement. So hopefully we'll get an update sometime soon. As for what works and what doesn't, AMDVLK had several fails on the 6600XT but otherwise compliance was very good for all three.

Comment

for me it is a mystery to... google did exit stadia... i do not unterstand why there are 2 drivers for amd hardware like AMDVLK
                  and Radeonsi/AOC

we should pay phoronix.com money to never again show any news about AMDVLK...
                  Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

for me it is a mystery to... google did exit stadia... i do not unterstand why there are 2 drivers for amd hardware like AMDVLK
                    and Radeonsi/AOC

we should pay phoronix.com money to never again show any news about AMDVLK...
                    Why, based on what?

Comment

Working...
                    X