Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Develops New "GI-1.0" Open-Source Global Illumination Tech

Phoronix: AMD Develops New "GI-1.0" Open-Source Global Illumination Tech

AMD under their GPUOpen umbrella has published a paper on their new technology dubbed "GI-1.0" that is a fast, scalable two-level radiance caching scheme for real-time global illumination. This means of real-time global illumination says it can deliver comparable quality to other GI implementations while said to be much faster. GI-1.0 will be open-source, AMD says, but the code isn't yet published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's actually pretty cool! Would definitely like to see a port of that technique to Godot and compare it against SDFGI.

Comment

Open-source rendering tech shown off using the semi-open Unreal Engine 5.

I wonder why not the fully FOSS O3DE, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

so that Stallman's disciples have something new to bitch and moan about.

noone sane uses O3DE, whereas UE is as popular as it gets.

Comment

This a part of that hybrid approach they were talking about? It's funny, I'd just been complaining about what a shyte effect AO is most of the time, and how such things get preferred over better, cheaper but more dev-costly techniques. Skimming through this, I'm impressed. Clever stuff, and a step in the right direction

Comment

Skimming through this, I don't see anything about not being able to provide an offline starting seed for the start of the game. Admittedly I skipped some sections, but this does seem interesting.

Comment

Because if you want devs to use it you must demo it on an engine that anyone is using.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                Because if you want devs to use it you must demo it on an engine that anyone is using.
                And even when you have ready-to-use plugin for most popular engine - still almost nobody uses it. Just look how many indie game developers use UE for their games, many of them enable DLSS and hardly ever you can see FSR2 support.

Comment

I think lumen is UE only so if you want to compare to lumen and its performance why should you use another engine?

Comment

See also RadiantGI/GloomAO[0] and SSDO[1], all available for ReShade and they work without RT hardware. This probably looks and performs better though.
                    [0]: https://github.com/BlueSkyDefender/AstrayFX
                    [1]: http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/Papers/SSDO.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X